interesting taper method

Bill,

Thats a pretty interesting way of doing it. My only concern with doing it this way is that the cutter is removing alot of stock in a single pass. I prefer to take multiple passes and remove a little at a time. I'm not sure if it could be done with this method of tapering.

The Woodworker's Journal eZine had an article on using a joiner, a while back, to make tapers. They did it a little different. They cut a wedge (taper template), clampted it down on the outfeed side of the cutter head, and pushed the stock basically up the wedge across the cutter. I haven't tried this, but though I would mention it given the topic.

Back in the dark ages when I was in school (EKU) we learned to do a taper similar but with more passes and a more shallow cut. Same principle but less danger from aggressive cutting.

This method is an excellant way to taper a leg. But most Joiners are not as sharp and nifty-cool as a New Ironcity and you have to allow for kick-back and chatter. I forget the numbers and the equation for figuring but it seems we took 4 passes to complete the taper.

Kinda neat method, but I think I'll stick to the bandsaw. You could probably do the steps with a bandsaw too, then do multiple passes as Bill mentions. Heck, the old jointer we had at my HS, you could just do multiple passes :rofl:

Whooo. I had to stop the video a few times. :eek: :eek: Amazingly, Glenn seems to have all 10. I hope Pop Wood's insurance agent doesn't see this.:rolleyes:

I have done this method, but its not my favorite. If you don't like the tablesaw, there's a easy method using a planer with a wedge on it. With that technique, you can run a few legs at a time.

John's method with the bandsaw works well, too. Very safe.

My favorite method is the tablesaw with a jig mounted on a sled. No fingers anywhere near the blade.

I don't like to get my fingers that close to the blades, and I'd also be concerned about chatter or kickback taking that deep of cut on my 6" Grizzly. It's an interesting approach, but I think I'll stick with the taper jig on the tablesaw. (Of course, I bought the jig on sale, but have never had a call to use it other than to try it out.)