Moving across the pond...

Nice plan, I love the south of Japan. I usually visit Kagoshima when I go, since my Father-In-Law's family is down there.

Our uncle grows ****ake...

My wife and kids are terrorizing Japan as I type...and I'm taking vacation to work on my workbench next week, and maybe a little metal mashing...

I don't know if I'll ever move back there again, I got a good fill of it the last time I was there for 5 years...nowdays my dreams remain here, and I'm gonna wait it out until I get it...

small-lake.jpg

Greg,

That is *so* cool! I'm jealous! Yeah, it may be work, but what an adventure! ;)

And thanks for the pics. I always think of Japan as incredibly crowded, with every sq. inch of land developed... but what a beautiful countryside. Some of those rock formations look like the old chinese paintings I have in my office... guess it's because it's so far south... ;)

In any case, congrats and good luck... can you get a high speed connection out in the country? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks for all the nice comments...

We've always managed to live in, or near the countryside. Closest "in town" was when we lived outside Tokyo in a place called Sagamiono. It was a 40 train ride to Shinjuku, not far from Stu. On week days, I switched there and go for another hour and 10 minute subway/bus ride to my office on an island in Tokyo Bay.

We will get a 40' container for household goods. They general cost the same whether they have one box in them or are full. I have to get a few quotes.

Actually...I had the exclusive contract to supply lard to Mickey D's for their french fries....:eek: I should have sold that a few years ago.... My Bazillions just up and slipped away.....:rofl::rofl:

I will build the shop if we decide to buy that house, or at the house we settle on. The rental house looks good, though.

Moving and living in a different country is....different. Exciting, educational, entertaining, frustrating....the who gamlet. But, I've lived there a total of 16 years so far, so I'm pretty used to it.

If I had to live "in town", I don't think I'd be able to cope long... Even where we are is wooded and a 15 minute drive to the "big city" of Redmond.

I already have a friend in the village...a guy from Idaho that has lived here for 17 years. He's a nice guy and has offered to help in any way he can. We also correspond via the internet, so I know the service is there. With the house so close to the village office, I'm sure the fastest service available, is right there.

If we do get the house, one of the first things is a new kitchen....

Typical "System Kitchen"...steel, white, stainless counter top, single propane burner...

That will be hard to get used to after our new kitchen here...:doh:

The area is noted for it's woodworking industry, especially wooden shoes (Geta) and wood for home building. They have had a hard time with the cheaper imported wood, so my construction costs might be somewhat reasonable, especially if I cut/plane/finish as much as I can myself. There might even be some good, used 'ol iron from local manufacturers available...

This is one of the 8 mat rooms in the house. There are two, with sliding panels dividing them along the beam in the pic. The bedding (futons) are for the exchange students that have been renting it.

There are also 7 hot springs within a 30 minute drive of the house. Lots to see and do, festivals etc. They have lots of people from overseas come to visit their advanced organic farms too. Plums are another famous crop there.

Kyushu has a lot of history. Although there were Feudal Lords that controlled areas and fought each other for power, the area of Hita had always been controlled by the Shogun in Edo (Tokyo). Wood was considered a valuable asset, as well as the craftsmen, and the stratigic position were all very important.

All right, Steve and Vaugh... THANK-you very much. Now I've got the "two-all-beef-patties-special-sauce-lettuce-cheese-pickles-onions-on-a-sesame-seed-bun" jingle in my head. :doh:

"Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us, all we ask is that you let us do it your way."

or better yet:

"My bologna has a first name it's O-S-C-A-R, my bologna has a second name it's M-A-Y-E-R, Ooh, I love to eat it everyday and if you ask me why I'll say, cause Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A."

Good luck Greg :thumb:

Hope everything goes smooth for you.
Very pretty country side, doesn't look so much different then the pacific northwest... Lot's of mushrooms around here too :D

I'll bet kitchen counter tops go for a bit more in Japan then they do here huh?

Jingles aside,
Greg, what an undertaking you're going to have. Sounds like you're an old hand at it, however, so I've got no doubts you'll make it work nice and smooth. Keep us posted and we'll be hoping for smooth sailing (Literally) for you and your household.

or better yet:

"My bologna has a first name it's O-S-C-A-R, my bologna has a second name it's M-A-Y-E-R, Ooh, I love to eat it everyday and if you ask me why I'll say, cause Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A."

Watch it buddy! :mad: I know the Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island theme songs and I'm not afraid to use them. :bonkers:

Hi Greg,:wave:
Thanks for the photos of a beautiful place to call home. It really sounds like a place to live easy and work hard on the simple things, farming and building stuff. Any chance you can fabricate a counter top for the new kitchen and ship it too? Build the cabinets later, since you are doing a container, the weight will be no issue.
Stay in touch.:D
Shaz

Yeah, fill the freaking container with hardwood, any left over space should be stuffed with it, they want a pretty penney here for non-native stuff. :wave: