Thread: Spot the Flaw

Spot the Flaw

Short quiz...see if you can spot the minor flaw in this bowl. (No fair peeking at the thumbnails ahead.):

Attachment 9973

How about now?

Attachment 9974

And now?

Attachment 9975

One more hint:

Attachment 9976

This spalted alder bowl is about 9 3/4" wide by 5" tall...more wood from the lady next door. The nice bark inclusion on the side didn't survive the ride, so it's bit impractical for ice cream or peanuts. Grapefruits, maybe yes.

The finish on the outside is once again Formby's Tung Oil mix, buffed to a nice gloss with tripoli and white diamond, then Renaissance Wax. On the inside I used the low-gloss version of the Formby's Tung Oil mix followed with a white Scotch Brite to create a matte finish. It makes for a neat contrast with the outside.

This is another one folks will either like or not like, but that's just how things "turned" out.

Attachment 9977 Attachment 9978 Attachment 9979 Attachment 9980 Attachment 9981

Comments and opinions (favorable or not) are welcome. The only way I can improve is to hear what people think.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I think your photography skills are getting better and better!

Nice save just the same.

To me, the form is a little too pointy on the bottom of the bowl..........

Attachment 9983
    .....it is a minor point, and it could be the way the piece is photographed, the lighting or my eyes, but that area there, that I put the blue line, I think the form would have been just that much sweeter, if there was a bit more roundness there.

I also understand you might have been working within the constraints of the wood that you had left

All in all, nice piece for sure!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Although the sort of pointy bottom was intentional (just something I wanted to try) I agree with your curve comments Stu. Although instead of pushing the line out a bit, I think I could have pulled it in a bit, making the bowl a bit shorter, but giving more roundness to the bottom. Overall the bowl is a bit taller than I typically would have made it, but I was stretching the height to try to save the bark inclusion. Even with that in mind though, I could have lost 1/4" to 1/2" off the bottom and made it more round.

Thanks for the compliments and the suggestion.

workingwoods.com

Vaughan I did a bowl last week that I chucked up wrong(made a NE bowl instead of a regular bowl ) and when I finished the one side is 3' high the other side about 1" . Not good for popcorn just apples or other fruit.
    Ken

Well, it sure ain't gonna hold much soup!

Incredible bowl Vaughn!

Nicely done Vaughn! Photography is great too!

Turning those with a large hole in them is a real experience in "faith turning"!.....You just keep keep riding the bevel on your bowl gouge all the while having faith it won't fall through the hole ....get caught ...and pulled loose from your hands just before it smacks on the head for being stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    ...Turning those with a large hole in them is a real experience in "faith turning"!.....You just keep keep riding the bevel on your bowl gouge all the while having faith it won't fall through the hole ....get caught ...and pulled loose from your hands just before it smacks on the head for being stupid!
    You're right about the "faith turning" Ken. Fortunately on this one, the void was mostly full of bark until right before I was finished with the turning tools, so it wasn't as dicey as it could have been. I was hoping the bark inclusion would hang in there, but right at the end I got it a little thinner than it wanted to be, so a few big chunks detached. The void looked uneven that way, so I knocked out the remaining bark.

workingwoods.com

It leaks.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Don't price by the pound.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire