Dust Collection Ductwork

What is your preferred scenario for dust collection ductwork?

• Hung from the ceiling

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Under the floor

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 6 13.0%

• Total voters
Which method do you prefer for duct collection ductwork?

I should probably qualify. I realize that many of you are forced to have it one way or the other depending on your shop. I'm interested to hear how you would have it if you could have it either way.

Last edited:
My PVC ducting runs up from my DC (2hp Penn State, with cartridge filter) into the shop's attic, then across and down thru the ceiling in two drops - one for the 14" bandsaw, and one for the router table/drill press/SCMS.

I also use that one for the jointer, the planer, and the Performax sander, all of which are on mobile bases and are just wheeled over for use.

At the DC, there's a Wye connection, and I use a flex line on one side to run to the cabinet saw, or the 16" bandsaw. The 'hard' ducting from the ceiling goes to the orher side of the Wye.

Oh yeah, it's all 4" ducting. I've found it perfectly adequate, since in my one-man shop, only one tool gets used at a time.

I didn't have a choice, but I would still do it above. With a cyclone, the inlet is already up high anyway. The only way to do it low is if there was a basement to the shop and the cyclone was down stairs. Come to think about it, the pipe would still be high in the basement, but come through the floor in the shop!!:D Now if I could build the shop of my dreams, it would probably be with a basement that the mechanicals would be in, and have a drive out door so lawn tractors and tools could be stored there as well, then the shop would be a little less cluttered. Jim.

In my current shop -- which is a long/narrow basement with a half-insulated wall along the side. (weird code, thats what it was 20 years ago) -- it made the most sense for me to run the pipe horizontally along the one wall, tucked under the half wall. All my stationary machines are along the wall anyway, and this way the DC does not have to power the suction to reach all the way to the ceiling.

This method would not make sense for almost any other type of shop, IMHO.

I had the choice since I designed and built my shop from scratch. I chose hanging the ductwork from the ceiling for three reasons:
(1) More straightforward connection the the cyclone
(2) Easier to get at
(3) Easier to modify should I move machines or acquire new/different machines

Don't have it now, but I think my ideal shop would have the ductwork under the floor. Looking at Marty's shop, it just looks cleaner and less obtrusive. I like Jim's idea of a walkout/driveout basement under the shop for the mechanicals.

Most of mine is under concrete.

Yes I would do it again.

I am glad to hear that. Right now I just drag hose from machine to machine and it does get in the way somewhat but I do not think that it is in my way as much as it would be with hoses hanging down all over the place. When I get the chance mine is going to be under the floor like Steve's is.

rob, the main concern with d/c in the floor is access.......if you design with access and the ability to clean out clogs in mind the floor does look cleaner.
then again you`d better be darn sure the machines are where you intend to leave `em......`cause changing is lotsa work..tod

Currently along the ceiling where it often gets in the way and collects.....dust.:eek:

Under the floor has always intrigued me and I think, :rolleyes: given an unlimited budget to design a shop building from scratch, I'd like that better.

under the floor this time

the first shop had it above the ceiling and it was ok, i had two drops and one came right threw the wall to the RAS. it worked pretty good but trying to pull against gravity is harder than with it.. saw what steve clardy had and it was amzing at how clean and convient he had it set up.. like tod said do your homework on set up of the tools before hand.. that took me awhile becasue concrete is permant....:D :thumb:

Mine's going to lay on the floor, for the most part. This is mostly because the corner where the floor and that wall meet is just a wide open tunnel anyway. The TS wing is over it. The jointer's "tail" hangs over it. Plus, it's a straight shot from the DC inlet (Jet 1100)

I'm currently in a similar situation to Jason. The right side of my TS is no-man's-land anyway so my main manifold and runs are on the floor there. These run to my TS and overarm, RT above and below and a swing out hose for whatever I roll into the area (planer, sander, etc.). Some planned expansion will drive me to ceiling runs which I am in favor of as long as you have the HP to maintain effective airflow.

As I'm pretty new to the DC game, I am still at a point of using 4in hose around my shop. Currently I have 2 4in connctions going to the DC (both with blast gates). The DC is a Steel City 1.5hp with 1 micron filter bag.

One is connected to my shop built trash can seperator. This is currently connected to the joiner with a quick disconnect. This way when I need to run the planer I will just move the hose over to it. Currently my joiner gets much more use than the planer does.

The other connection goes directly to the DC, as the tools it is used with don't generate a volume of big chips. This is the one that I move to where ever I need it. Currently I have used it on the TS, Router Table, & on the Disc/Belt Sander.

Eventually I will be running over head ductwork. Most likely will be in PVC. For now it does the trick.

Well, I do not have any at the moment but most probably when I'll install one it will have to be hung from the ceiling.

There are other possibilities as well but they will increase airflow resistance because they'll need more bends and turns.

As far as I know ( which is not much:( ) the shorter the duct and the less turns and bends the better.