Briley's Chair

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
I just finished this little rocking chair in time for my grand-niece's first birthday.

The original chair was featured in Wood Magazine, back in 1993, and back then I made one - in red oak - that adhered to Wood's plan, which had a plain, flat seat, and the arch, front legs, and the rockers glued up from 4/4 stock.

For this one, I deviated a bit from the plans. I used cherry, and cut the legs (8/4) and rockers (12/4) from solid stock. The back legs/arch, I laminated up from eighteen 3/32" strips. I also added a piece to the lower front of the seat, to thicken it a bit and give it a better appearance, and I contoured the surface of the seat to make it more comfortable.

All in all, it was a fun project. Now we'll see how well it lasts under strenuous 'kid-testing.'

B Chair 1.jpg

B Chair 2.jpg

B Chair 3.jpg

The teddy bear cutout for the chair's back is 5/16" thick, and mortised into the arch at the top and the seat at the bottom. It's free-floating within the mortises.

Bear Insert.jpg

Thanks for looking.

That is too cool, Jim. :thumb: Fun design, especially the teddy bear feet at the ends of the arm rests. The whole thing looks like it's built to take years of use and abuse. Like Jesse said, that one's going to be around for generations.

Yep, that's a keeper Jim! :thumb:

I hope you put your name on it somewhere, so the future generations can wonder who the heck was "Jim DeLaney" that made this great chair :D

Cheers!

Very nice project, one that looks like it could be easily adpated to to have different animals on it. How did you do the bear by the way?

Very nice project, one that looks like it could be easily adpated to to have different animals on it. How did you do the bear by the way?

[size=+1]The basic outline was cut on my bandsaw, using a 3/16" blade. The interior cutouts were done by drilling 1/8" start and end holes and cutting them out on the DeWalt scroll saw.[/size]

Last edited:
...I hope you put your name on it somewhere, so the future generations can wonder who the heck was "Jim DeLaney" that made this great chair
Cheers!

Oh yeah. On the underside of the seat, it's inscribed "For Briley" and there's an inlaid laser-cut maple medallion that says "Jim DeLaney - 2007."

Great work!! I don't think that I could have torn that thing up when I was a kid and that's sayin somethinig. Sure to be around for Briley's own children and grandchildren.

That is a neat chair! How did you dish out the chair ? I have few that I need to do like that ! Thanks

[size=+1]I guess you'd say - "The Hard Way." I used a few carving gouges - #5 & #7 sweeps - and a convex spokeshave for the bulk of the contouring, and finished it with a gooseneck scraper, a piece of broken glass that had a nice curve to it, and finally with sandpaper.

I'm sure it could have been done in one tenth the time using a power carver blade in an angle grinder, but truthfully, those thing scare the **ll out of me. Besides, I wasn't in a hurry, and the hand work was kinda relaxing.[/size]