What was your first car

First Car

My first car was a 1954 Chevy which I paid $100 for & completely rebuilt. A little while later , I owned an auto repair shop & a customer had a 1951 Pontiac he wanted me to buy (this was in about 1965), I told him I didn't need a car. Well he got his new car & offered me his car for $15, yes $15 so I bought it, ran it for a little while, can't remember what I did with, probably sold it. The most interesting thing is that last week I brought my wife's Suburban to the carwash & it cost me $16, more than the purchase price of the Pontiac! Guess I'm getting old or as my mother used to say when I'd take her out to dinner & she'd look at the prices on the menu " Dennis, I'm living in the wrong century"
Dennis

Hey Buddy! Where's the other half of your car!:rofl:

Oh, but I'm getting old - I'm surprised I actually remember that ad campaign.:eek: :rolleyes:

Wes

PS You didn't happen to have the Levis version did you?;)

Hey Wes,
Almost 20 years ago I worked with a guy who drove a beat up blue gremlin. A friend of his had drawn the face of an elephant on the hood -- "because my car doesn't have a trunk". In the winter he'd drive with a squeegee in one hand slowly wiping the window, since the defroster didn't work...:eek:

But at least it wasn't as ugly as the AMC Pacer. (shudder)

My first car was a 1946 Ford with a flathead six cylinder engine that I paid $75 for. The car was practically a tow home - the engine was so worn out. I took the engine apart, had it bored out and the crank ground, then put in oversized pistons and journal inserts. I drove that car all through college.

This was in the '60's and the car was a real attention getter.

Mike

My first car was literally a lumber hauler. It was an AMC station wagon with three on the tree. In 1979 I paid $25 and put in a $25 rebuilt water pump to get it going. It had a hood that looked like new but the fenders were rusted through on the top surface and held together with green bookbinding tape.

The fellow I bought it from worked for Forest Products Lab in Madison, WI. He used it to store lumber he brought home after using it for research. The car was filled with walnut planks from just behind the front seats to the rear door.

This isn't it but it looked like this.
1968_AMC_Rebel_Station_Wagon-GoldWhite.jpg

Bright red 1990 Honda Accord, 2 door coup w/ 4 speed manual

I put 295,000 miles on it in 15 years -- nearly 20k per year.

Got so sick of it by the end I didn't care that I didn't make 300,000 miles.

Greg

1953 plymouth

Hey! I had a 53 plymouth too! flathead 6 banger. Built like a tank, Plenty of room in the back seat :rolleyes: :p

But my first car was a used 1963 Nova, Small 6 cylinder, Leaked oil
like a refinery from the valve cover, great in the snow. Very basic
came with no radio, no power steering, no air, and a .........very small back seat..... 8^(

I got over 120,000 out of it before I traded it in. and it still ran like
an top.

Last edited: