Thread: Brazilian Cherry

Brazilian Cherry

This is the first bowl that I have made with a collar. After looking back at it I probably shouldn't have even put it on there. Oh well to late now. The bowl is about 6" tall and 8" across. It is Brazilian Cherry with a Canary Wood collar. I finished it with Antique Oil and Minwax wax. I did learn that I should polish the inside before I put the collar on it next time. It doesn't look like I did anything to the inside from the pics. Comments and critiques are welcome so that I can do it better in the future.

Shawn nice looking bowl and collar. If you make the hole in the collar small enough, folks have a harder time determining the finish on the inside.

How was the Brazilian cherry for turning? I just received a piece recently and have never turned that wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Lakes View Post
    .... bowl that I have made with a collar. After looking back at it I probably shouldn't have even put it on there.
    Why not ?? I think it looks good --

Tony, BCE '75

Nice job, Shawn. The only way to learn what you do and don't like is to try lots of different things and see which of them appeal to you. I agree with you that the bowl probably didn't need the collar, but until you try it, how do you know?

I've not turned any Brazilian cherry (a.k.a. jatoba), but I've done some flatwork with it. Real good-looking stuff, but pretty hard and brittle. I'll bet it was a challenge to turn it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

The wood was easy to turn but it did dull my tools quick. The only real problem that I had was sanding it. It had a couple of scratched areas from me dropping it when I was taking it off of the chuck. The stuff doesn't sand easily. Thanks for the comments.

Shawn that is a great looking piece. I like the collar on it. Great job.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.