morris chair

Here are a couple pictures of a morris chair I finished last week. I've wanted to make one for a while. I finally decided to just go ahead and do it or it would never get built.

The wood is red oak. I used wood that I recycled from an old barn. The wood has a lot of "character". I found out however that if you plane it enough it starts to look like new oak. I thought there was too much contrast of the wood, so I used a rather dark stain to try and even out the color. The arms and legs have two coats. All the other parts have one.

I used straight arms because I plan on using this as my tv chair. The flat arms give me plenty of room for a drink and the remote.

I'm waiting for the wife to finish the back cushion. It required sewing, which I have no clue about.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• morris.jpg
    morris.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 95
  • morris1.jpg
    morris1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 50
A Morris chair has been on my "want to build someday" list for a long time. Congrats on completing yours!:thumb: :clap:

Did you use a specific set of plans?

nice chair!!

is it just my old eyes or is that got a leaning back like a lounge chair? the morris chairs i have seen were usually straighter back like school chairs?:huh: