Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will these small boxes save me? - Update

Will these small boxes save me? - Update

I believe I posted as to how LOML and I celebrate an anniversary even though we aren't married. I'm usually prepared but got caught without knowing the 5th anniversary is traditionally 'wood'. Duh.

Anyway, I posted the bevel sled and some other random stuff involved with these. Final sanding and finish (oil and wax) aside; this is the general idea. 3/8" thick beech bodies, dadoed birch bottoms (can't see them in the pics) and walnut keys and lift-off lids. Just a dresser top decoration thingy to put earrings or whatever in for safe keeping. (No, really honey . . . I been werkin' on these for awhile . . . )

I learned more than I expected to about how small objects require a whole different approach than say . . . a router table cabinet or a chest of drawers.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-29-2007 at 03:26 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Glenn,

Nice Work!

I like the bevel on the keyed lids. very creative
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Yep, I think your bacon is safe

Nice job!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Lil' boxes are cute and will keep her from "frying your Bacon" but reading your post :

I believe I posted as to how LOML and I celebrate an anniversary even though we aren't married. I'm usually prepared but got caught without knowing the 5th anniversary is traditionally 'wood'. Duh.

Reason is to show how long you have been dragin' your feet on commitment... In as much as you intend she use them as Jewelry or ring boxes, would not it be appropriate to include a "Ring"

i agree with the including a ring that would surely save yur bacon but from my limited expeirence 33yrs they have a whole differnt look on birthdays and anniversarys i missed one of each and as you can see from my avatar it took alot of life outa me
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Lil' boxes are cute and will keep her from "frying your Bacon" but reading your post :

Reason is to show how long you have been dragin' your feet on commitment... In as much as you intend she use them as Jewelry or ring boxes, would not it be appropriate to include a "Ring"
    Normally, yes. We're both pretty independent characters and as we like to say when people ask "we've already been married, just not to each other". I built her a wall mounted jewelry cabinet to hold all her necklaces and such. We pretty much leave the ring thing alone. I will have to come up with something clever to tuck inside though.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Glenn

Looks great!

Let's see, about contents, I'm sure others will chime in as well............ but here are a few top of the mind thoughts

Two round the world air tickets?

Dinner at your favorite restaurant?

A "slave for a day" certificate for her to redeem when she wants your UNDIVIDED attention?

Gift certificate to a spa?

Some very small items from Victoria's Secret (ummmmm is that for her or you )

Weekend getaway in San Francisco? or wine country

A visit to Tod's shop? -- or maybe Stu's?

On a serious note, how about a personal note reflecting on how wonderful the past 5 years have been and how much you're looking forward to spending the future with her?

Have a great time!

Jay

Oh well.... Tell her I tried

Corn Grats on what you have, but as for me and my up-coming 39 years of bliss, I think a solid bound relationship will last longer and enjoy better.

Here's the boxes oiled and waiting for wax. I added second keys as originally planned and chamfered the bottoms to give them a shadow line. I also stole some ideas and modified the tops a bit (thanks Vaughn). I've enjoyed the small pieces and think I'll be doing some others now that I've been through it once. Thanks to all for the kind words.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Cool boxes! Let us know how they work for you!! Congrats on a lasting relationship.