Spalted Alder Hollow Form

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is more of the spalted alder from the lady next door. Even though it's a bit punky and prone to tearout, this wood has been a pleasure to work with. The more of it I turn, the more neat figure I find. This piece is about 7 1/2" wide by 7" tall, so far my biggest hollow form yet. Sanded to 600 grit, then given multiple coats of Formby's Tung Oil blend, followed by my standard tripoli, white diamond, and Renaissance wax.

I tried something a little different with the neck...thinking along the lines of Grecian pottery forms.

HF027 - 02 800LB.jpg HF027 - 08 800LB.jpg HF027 - 03 800LB.jpg HF027 - 07 800LB.jpg HF027 - Neck Detail.jpg

I'm pretty happy with this piece, but if I had a vacuum chuck I'd probably try to lighten up the neck just a bit more. I've changed my mind on the flat section just inside the lip, and think it'd look better rounded to match the outside contour. (If it bugs me enough, I still might try tweaking it in the donut chuck, if I can get things really well centered. Or there's always rasps, files, and sandpaper.)

I'd like to hear your comments and critiques...thanks for looking.

Vaughn,

You're turning these things out way too fast for me to keep up! May I just say "Well done, nice work" in advance for the next dozen or so?

Vaughn:
Very nice job. The piece looks well balanced and the shape is elegantly defined. Looks like you did a good job eliminating tear-out from a pretty tough piece of wood.

Not sure I'm crazy about the sqaured-off chamfer on the outside of the lip (Last pic). To me, it looks a little out of place with the gently flowing curves of the rest of the piece. Just my opinion. Overall, I think the wood is beautiful and the form is well-balanced. :thumb:

Vaughn that is a beauty. I like the form and wood. I guess I am going to have to retire to get some time to keep up with you. I have been on the road so much I just haven't had time to turn much.

Vaughn, another beaut! :thumb:

I have to agree with you and Steven, I think a rounded inside lip would have been nicer, but all in all, an outstanding piece.

I got to get this bandsaw done, so I can start turning again, I turned the handle for a file the other day, and man, that was fun........... shows you how much turning I've been doing :rolleyes: :rofl:

The pics are really great too, looks like you have that down pat, how about some pics of your pic taking tent etc, lights and all that :wave:

Cheers!

Thanks for the comments guys. I went ahead and hooked it back up to the lathe (6 1/2" bolts in the donut chuck) :eek: and rounded out/thinned the mouth a little bit:

Neck Detail Redux 800.jpg

I put a quick coat of Formby's on it, and now I can still see a couple hints of flat spots on it, so tomorrow I'll sand it by hand a little bit and finesse the flat spots out. Even though it still needs a bit more tweaking, I'm liking it better this way already. I'd rather not settle for something less than my best effort. ;)