Back on the board after my Hawaii vacation...

Steve Russell

Aloha to the group,

I have been absent for the last few weeks trying to get caught up on my studio work after spending two weeks in Hawaii. :D I finally have my head above water again, so I'm glad to be able to participate on the FWW board again.

This was our third trip to Hawaii in the last three years and we have come to love the Island of Maui. In fact, we plan to retire there in a few years. :) It looks like we will have to purchase some land and build, as I have not been able to find homes with suitable accommodations for my studio.

That means I get to design a purpose built structure just for woodturning, with all of the bells and whistles that I have wanted through the years. :D Like... 1.) A conveyor belt to move the shavings outside the studio so I don't have to shovel them... 2.) A climate controlled finishing room with effective dust control... 3.) Central dust collection with down draft gates in key areas to pull the dust down through the floor... :D You have any ideas for neat things to put in a studio? Let me know!!!

We are also planning to renew our wedding vows there next year for our 25th wedding anniversary, so I'm planning a wedding again! :) Take care and all the best to you and yours!

What a deal Steve. Hope it all works out for you. I am planning to retire in 2 to 3 yrs. I am looking for a place in Richmond, VA. with a barn to convert to a shop like you for my dream shop. I may have to do the same thing and build. Thanks for the converyor belt idea.

My wife and I are planning to renew vows in December. She thought we ought to after 40 yrs.

Good to see you back, Steve. I'd been wondering where you'd run off to.

Building a dream studio in Hawaii...can it get much rougher? :rofl: I hope we get to see progress pictures.

And congrats on (almost) 25 years. :thumb:

Thanks for the kind words...

Hello,

Thanks for the kind words! :) It will be fun designing a studio from the ground up... :D

Bernie: Congrats on your 40th and you upcoming wedding! My wife's parents are celebrating their 50th later this year.

Tod: Thanks! It's really fun planning the wedding. :D

Vaughn: Thanks! I figured you have to live somewhere... It may as well be in paradise. :D We're still in the early stages, but everything in Hawaii happens slowly, so you have to start very, very, very early! Take care and all the best to the group.

Steve, talk about paradise, getting to build a studio for wood turning in Hawaii, from the ground up, man, that is going to be neat!

I always thought an auger would be better than a conveyor belt fro chip removable, but yeah, I hear you talking! :D

Lots of ideas, track lighting on the ceiling, or better yet, dentist lighting!! :D

Finishing room, yep, buffing station with a REAL big buffer, yep, finishing room, oh yeah!!

Heck this could be fun to watch for sure!! :thumb:

Great Idea Stuart...

Hello Stuart,

Thanks for the idea about the auger... :thumb: That does sound better than a conveyor belt, especially if I have a channel in the floor (with a built in auger) that I can sweep the shavings into and the auger can then transport it outside into a storage location. :thumb: Way COOL! :D

This is going to be FUN!!! :D Thanks again and all the best to you and yours!

P.S. I'm looking into doing some demos in Japan next year, maybe we can meet and drink a cool one as we swap tall tales about turning...:)

Wow, retire on Maui. That would be a dream come true. I've visited Hawaii a few times and have fell in love with the big island myself. But I don't think there are any bad places except for maybe the maze of oneway streets in the Waikiki area of Honolulu.

Another idea for moving shavings, (and you must be thinking of doing some serious turning if you're thinking of conveyors and augers) I would go with a pneumatic or vacuum system. Far less maintenance and moving parts. Even a large cyclone fed by some sort of collector hopper would clear shavings out faster than you could make them. I've just spent too many years around augers and belts in my job and seen to many pinched and cut off fingers to ever want to incorporate something like that into a wood shop.

If you are thinking of coming to Tokyo, please do drop in for a cool one or six :D

I'm a member of a turning club called the Far East Woodturners Society, or FEWS, we have been lucky to have some great turners come and show us their skill, Eli Avisera, Jean Francious Escoulen and Alan Lacer (before my time :().

Cheers!

Good idea Curt...

Hello Curt,

Thanks for the tip. I'm also looking at vacuum systems, as well as conveyors and augers. At this point, I'm looking at anything that will make it easier for me to turn wood. :) It's a lot easier to make shavings than to clean them up, so I want to find something that will make it as simple as possible, so I can have more time to turn. :D Thanks again for the assistance and all the best to you and yours!

Another idea for moving shavings, (and you must be thinking of doing some serious turning if you're thinking of conveyors and augers) I would go with a pneumatic or vacuum system. Far less maintenance and moving parts. Even a large cyclone fed by some sort of collector hopper would clear shavings out faster than you could make them. I've just spent too many years around augers and belts in my job and seen to many pinched and cut off fingers to ever want to incorporate something like that into a wood shop.

steve, it very well may be worth your while to hire an apprentice? they drive brooms well and it`s always good to pass the knowledge on.....just a thought......tod

Thanks Stuart...

Hello Stuart,

Thanks for the invite. :D When I get closer to planning my trip, I will contact you for some local info. I would love to do a demo for your club. :D As for the cool one, I sure hope Sapporo Dark is easier to get there, than it is here... :eek: It's as rare as hens teeth in my neck of the woods.

If you are thinking of coming to Tokyo, please do drop in for a cool one or six :D

I'm a member of a turning club called the Far East Woodturners Society, or FEWS, we have been lucky to have some great turners come and show us their skill, Eli Avisera, Jean Francious Escoulen and Alan Lacer (before my time :().

Cheers!