Juried Art Show

Curt Fuller

The Eccles Community Art Center http://www.ogden4arts.org/ holds a statewide competition each year for Utah artists. My wife enters a couple of her paintings each year and even won the purchase award last year. This year she talked me into entering a couple woodturnings. I had a hard time deciding what to enter because I don't really see my stuff as art, more like woodworking craft. I entered the burl bowl below and the goblet from this thread http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4276
Well I got my notification today that both pieces were accepted. I was really surprised because I've never seen a woodturning in the show before. Then when I looked on their website it says the juror is Stephen “Woody” Shepherd, Assistant Professor of Drawing & Painting, Utah State University. With a nickname of "Woody" I guess that explains it. I won't find out until next week if I got double lucky and won any kind of award.

My wife also got one of her paintings accepted.

Attachments

• goldfield burl 2.jpg
    goldfield burl 2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 34
"I don't really see my stuff as art"

Yikes! For goodness sake, Curt, if what you do isn't Art, then what is? And what is it that *I* do? Mine looks positively primitive compared to yours!

Anybody tells you your work isn't art, you tell 'em a former professor of aesthetics says different. And is prepared to argue the point at length! ;)

BTW, congrats on being included in the show! I've got my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks,

Bill

Curt, I hate to break it to you, but that bowl is not a "woodworking craft" piece. :D Neither are your goblets. :thumb: You're an artist whether you admit it or not. An artist that drives a mixer truck, but an artist nonetheless. :p Put on the beret and get used to it, buddy. :rofl:

Congrats on having both pieces selected, and good luck in the judging. :clap:

Well, I found out today that I didn't win any of the awards. But I'm still pretty excited about having some of my work displayed in the same gallery as all the other fantastic work in the show.

Sounds like just getting into the show was quite an honor...you should be proud of that. Plus, now you have something to aim for next year. (And of course the exposure of having your work in a nice gallery is a good thing.)