I love the cable company

No really I do!! Now I realize they usually aren't the cheapest around, We have internet, phone and basic digital cable. It's not cheap like $130 a month with tax. But we do have good service, longest the cable has ever been out was a few weeks ago we had a pretty good windstorm, the phone and the internet was out for 4 hours.

Well they have been running a special this month for new subscribers, Phone, cable, internet, and a PVR for $99 a month for the first year. The wife calls up since she wanted a PVR and wants the new customer deal. Lady called her back today and said we could have it for $79 for the first year, since ewe where a good customer. :thumb: :thumb: Then it goes back to the same rate as now plus $9 a month for the pvr which we will probably turn in then.

I like it when a company treats you right :D

You won't see me veer from my satellite anytime soon. Not that I could anyway, we got cable here, lots of it, 1/2 inch, 3/4 and even some 9/16 for the skidders...but none that allow the tv to have pictures on it.

The truth be told, we have had great service with direct TV. Once our satellite got hit by lightning. We called up and said we were out of satellite. The guy was like "we are showing heavy thunderstorms in your area and I believe your satellite got hit by lightning. Hold on a second and let me fix that for you." There was a pause and then he said "Should be fixed now" and two seconds later it was. I don't know how he did it, but he fixed it.

Just last week I wired my house. While the walls are still opened up I put phone lines and satellite coaxial cable in each room. The reason is simple, right now we have DSL but I am not sure which is going to win out in the end. satellite or DSL. Either way I am wired for both.

...for the pvr which we will probably turn in then.
Don't bet on it. I'm guessing that after you use the video recorder (PVR) you'll be hooked, and you'll never want a TV without one again. :thumb:

I'm also on DirecTV and have been very happy with them. When LOML and I sold our respective houses and bought this one, I called DirecTV to get the new house hooked up, and to order a second TiVo so LOML could have one, too. The lady on the other end of the phone looked up my records and said since I was a good customer, the new TiVo was free. (Of course they add $5 to my monthly bill for TiVo service, so they get the money back eventually.)

I was disappointed recently to learn that DirecTV has stopped shipping TiVo units, and has switched to a different brand of PVR. TiVo rocks.

I had Verizon telephone and DSL. Had Vonage for long distance and overseas (wife doesn't use computer/Skype). We had Dish Network for TV, including TV Japan. Paying about $180/mo. I just switched to ComCast cable for their $99 triple play deal (and $25 for TV Japan). They send a contractor out to hook us up, bute found no signal on our cable. Said he could do nothing as that part was for real ComCast people, But re-scheduled us for install the next Monday to keep us in line.

Comcast scheduled a repair guy to come out and repair the cable....Thur, Fri or Sat. We got recorded messages about the install...but nothing on the repair. Thursday....nothing. Friday...nothing. Saturday....nothing. I was getting a bit irritated.

Sunday the doorbell rings and it's anothe ComCast contractor there to repair the cable, if he can. Found an open line and was going to string a cable across the yard...to be buried by ComCast regular diggers...in a month or tow! :eek:

I told him to forget it, I would stay with what I had. He said, "let me see if I can find the spot...which he finally did. The inner conductor was open, so he spliced it and got a good signal down the cable.

The installer (contractor) came out on monday and said he would put the 2 receivers in the family room and bedroom, but the cable to the computer loft, where the modem would have to go, would be a "custom install" at a later time and additional cost. :doh: I told him I'd run the cable and just have him hook it up. He agreed, but asked me to not say he had anything to do with that, as he wasn't supposted to do it. I ran the cable and we got internet up....finally. It was a long install, 4 hour, and he rushed out leaving a piece of equipment and a couple of tools....so he had to come back the next day.

Through the whole procedure, it seemed that ComCast itself was having problems knowing with the other hand was doing, but the contractors were pretty good. We are saving about $50/mo.

New I have another remote to figure out.....:doh: :huh:

My nephew has Comcast and he hates them. His internet is random at best. Took forever to figure it out. The had good signal right to the far driveway, at the house the signal went away. :huh:

I told them the solution was a new cable from pole A to pole B.
NO that was too easy. So while they where playing around with their high tech equipment trying to find the problem, my nephew and I get to looking and talking. Seems the trouble started about the time the power company had the trees trimmed. Got a ladder climbed up the tree and sure enough there was what looked like a chainsaw nick in the cable :D

They finally ran a new cable, what I told them to do 2 hours eariler

Ive had comcast broadband internet eve rsince it came out 6/ 7 years I'm guessing

its been great , rock solid , very few interruptions or problems

I ll say we have issues less than once a year

Don't bet on it. I'm guessing that after you use the video recorder (PVR) you'll be hooked, and you'll never want a TV without one again. :thumb:

I'm also on DirecTV and have been very happy with them. When LOML and I sold our respective houses and bought this one, I called DirecTV to get the new house hooked up, and to order a second TiVo so LOML could have one, too. The lady on the other end of the phone looked up my records and said since I was a good customer, the new TiVo was free. (Of course they add $5 to my monthly bill for TiVo service, so they get the money back eventually.)

I was disappointed recently to learn that DirecTV has stopped shipping TiVo units, and has switched to a different brand of PVR. TiVo rocks.

Vaughn,
I'm a directivo fan as well, and I have two units, one r10 and an older hughes unit which I picked up off of fleabay. If you ever want to get another tivo unit, there is a site which sells refurbished directivo's the link escapes me right now, but I'm considering a third unit for out in the shop. the $5 is well worth it in my book, as that is just the service fee for the programming information. When you consider that the directivo lets you record two shows at once, Plus watch stuff from the playlist, It is a real bargain.

Just a cautionary note on Tivo. If you have one, incase you were not aware of this.... The Tivo keeps track of every thing you watch and record. Probably not a big deal right? Well it sents this information on to Tivo (the company). They inturn sell it to marketing companies, and who knows who else.

You might be thinking they can't do that, can they? Well if you look at the fine print in one of your Tivo manuals (usually you get 2 differnt ones with each unit) It actually tells you this.

I know this because for 4 years I worked for a company that did tech support for the Sony brand Tivos. This included both the stand alone(SVR2000 and SVR3000) and the DirecTV unit(SAT-T60).

Just my 2 cents on this.

Just a cautionary note on Tivo. If you have one, incase you were not aware of this.... The Tivo keeps track of every thing you watch and record. Probably not a big deal right? Well it sents this information on to Tivo (the company). They inturn sell it to marketing companies, and who knows who else.
Just my 2 cents on this.

Thats why I want a multimedia PC, like a tivo, record 2 different shows at ones while watching a third. I get enough junk mail I don't need more