Might get Leigh Jig...

Aaron Beaver

...but I was wondering how it attaches to a bench or table. I have looked on their site and either miss it or its not there. I know some of you here have it so I thought I would find out. I am looking at the D4R if it makes any difference on the model.

Thanks

...but I was wondering how it attaches to a bench or table. I have looked on their site and either miss it or its not there. I know some of you here have it so I thought I would find out. I am looking at the D4R if it makes any difference on the model.

Thanks

My older model has "T" slots in the underside of the main extrusion. I just drilled two holes in the bench, and used 'toilet' bolts and wing nuts to mount it.

You could also use a "C" clamp at each end, I suppose, or permanently mount it to a plywood base and screw or clamp that to the bench.

BTW, you're gonna really like the Leigh. Super versatility, and contrary to what you may have heard, pretty easy to set up and use. The instruction book is very clearly written.

...but I was wondering how it attaches to a bench or table. I have looked on their site and either miss it or its not there. I know some of you here have it so I thought I would find out. I am looking at the D4R if it makes any difference on the model...

I have the D4, not the D4R. They are almost identical, though.

In the User Guide, on Page 11, Figure 1-22, you will find exactly what I did, to raise the jig to a better working position. You also will find Chapter 1 at: http://leighjigs.com/data/D4R-Ch01.pdf .

In addition, for a particular project I did some time ago, I had to raise the jig even more, to allow me to route pins and tails on 50-inch long boards - here you see the D4 sitting on the dovetail box I made for it:

HadtoraisetheDTjig.jpg

THIS is one of the boards I was talking about :D :

Cuttingpinsonbottompanel.jpg

And yet another board, etting ready to cut the sliding dovetail socket - this photo also shows the box supporting the D4:

PreparingtocutslidingDTslot.jpg

The project was this changing table for our daughter, who was getting ready for our #5 granddaughter - and the boards were to assemble the carcass for the table:

Changingtable-Waterloxandtopon.jpg

Changingtable-readyfordelivery.jpg

The partition is a sliding dovetail, also made on the D4, of course:

HowtosneakuponslidingDT.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, that answers that. I know PC's new Omnijig is coming out sometime in the next couple of months but I do not know if it will have the extra templates available like the Leigh does to do the different joints.

How big router you need for for this, I have a PC 7518 in my table but will want another one for this jig. I know they say a router with a micro adjustment is good to use.

Last edited:
...How big router you need for for this, I have a PC 7518 in my table but will want another one for this jig. I know they say a router with a micro adjustment is good to use.

I use a PC 690. It's a real workhorse, and performs quite well with the Leigh. In fact, I actually use two 690's - with the straight bit in one, and the dovetail bit in the other. The D-handle is my preference, but the regular base works just as well.

One last thing. Can you do pieces over 16" or 24" depending on which jig you have. Didn't know if you could "index" the wood with the bit off of an already cut dovetail to clamp the board then continue cutting? Not saying I would ever need to, just curious if it can be done.