Wyson Mortiser

Jeff Horton

I just committed to buy the last piece of old iron I need for the shop. So now my shop is or will be complete. Granted there are couple of things I wouldn't mind having machine wise, but this was the last thing I really wanted and need. I won't be able to get it to me till October thought. It's currently somewhere up in the Great White North.

It an old Wysong foot mortiser. Originally line shaft driven I believe. Has been converted to a modern motor. Not the best conversion I have seen, heck it just ugly. There I said it. It was advertised on OWWM and no one was interested and I think because, it was foot operated and it was so ugly.

I got it for less than the price of an average Bench Top model so I can spend a little on if needed and still be in it cheap. Owner says it works great and thats really all I care. I need one for some chairs I am want to build.

Hopefully this one won't need much attention. I really want to bring it in. Improve that drive system and put it to work. No major restorations I hope.

Image1.jpg

Hey it it works well, and it was cheap, then it looks DARN good to me! :thumb:

You will have it humming along in no time, chopping mortices like no ones bees wax! :D

That is one very cool machine. However, and take this with all the good intentions implied, your quote "So now my shop is or will be complete."

Ummm. . . . HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOL

Laugh all you want. If you look at my shop tour, you don't see a lot of unrestored iron or any "collections" sitting around. ;)
Besides, I didn't say I wouldn't be buying anything else.
I just committed to buy the last piece of old iron I need for the shop.
Just saying the shop is equipped with what I want. The mortiser was/is the last big item I want/need. There is difference. :)

Now if an osculating spindle sander, or a nice disk/belt sander combo comes along yea I am going to grab it! A cheap Unisaw I can dedicate for dados, something I can make money on. Of course! I ain't STUpid! :p

That motor hanging off the back like that. The belt drive too, the belt has to angle up and down as the head moves. I am thinking that a flat pulley on the head would make more sense. Let the belt move up and down like on a shaper.

Jeff

Looks like this is pending deal. Seller and I agreed on price. Arranged to have him deliver it to Arn Fest. From there it will be Ruckered to Chickamauga GA. I will drive up to Dans, pick it up and bring it home. But of course this won't happen till October unfortunately.