how would you....?

Frank Fusco

How would you (safely) shape or route a round-over edge on a thin (apx. 1/8") piece of wood about the size of a silver dollar? Of course this would be too thin to engage the guide bearing. Placing on another piece of wood would bring it up to the straight part of the cutter, ergo, no round-over. Are there mini-shaper/router bits?

Vacuum chuck on a wood lathe?

I can see exactly how I'd do it, but I can't really describe it .... It would involve a dowel in the chuck the same diameter as the piece you're rounding off and a hole through the dowel for the vacuum.

just a thought ...

cheers

How many ya gotta do? If it's just one, I'd get out the sandpaper :)

If I had to do a bunch, I'd grab a dowel of about the same diameter and double-stick tape it to the piece. To account for the bearing issue, I'd probably wrap the bit with a piece of wood, basically making a Zero clearance fence kinda thing - where only a little of the bit would be showing through.

I'd probably accomplish this by drilling a hole that would accomodate the bearing, then raise the bit into this hole while running. Then slice it off to make the "reveal" of the bit - this would probably work best without the bearing installed.

That way I got a handle that keeps my hand safe, and a way to guide the item through.

If you had to do it on only one side of this "coin", I would sooner make it on a dowel piece, round it over, then slice it off to the correct thickness with my bandsaw and sand the face smooth.

Don, Matt, others, thanks that looks perfect. Max would be about a dozen so I'll forego the building of the rig but will keep the info for future use. I have couple high speed grinders. One is a cordless Grizzly mini router that would work just fine. But, I have decided that for the small number now, I will just tilt the rest on my 1" belt sander and bevel that way. What I'm doing is making backings for bolo ties and will glue an emblem on the front.

Have you figured out what will work? I was wondering if you could cross cut an end off a 5/4 board and chuck it in the lathe. then you could shape the piece and pare it off. Don't know if it would work, but seems like it might:dunno:

Have you figured out what will work? I was wondering if you could cross cut an end off a 5/4 board and chuck it in the lathe. then you could shape the piece and pare it off. Don't know if it would work, but seems like it might:dunno:

I'm wantin' to do ovals. Some might say my Grizzly is idea for that ;) but I'll do another way. :rolleyes: