Pet Photos

Jeff Horton

It's been a while since we had a cute pet photo thread. I never got aroudtuit last time. Since I just uploaded some photos figured I would start a new one.

I used to do a lot of photography and really want to get back at it. Here are few of my favorite pet photos. Start with the cutest first. Always loved this photo. This is Chester, he was still pretty young at this time.

Chester2.jpg

Here is another one of him. A little more regal looking here.

Chester0001.jpg

This is, well was Penny. She is gone now. She was the consummate hunter and took daily walk abouts. One morning she allowed me and my camera to follow her around on her walk without protest (very rare). I got several very good photos of her. This has always been my favorite. And she will always be one of our favorite cats.

penny.jpg

This is her sister. I had been out one day on photo trip. I came walking in the house with my photovest on. Camera bag on my shoulder, a tripod under my arm and probably a jacket and hat too. It was enough she didn't recognize me and ran and hide under the coffee table. After laughing at her it occurred to me grab the camera!

Who%20are%20you.jpg

Jeff

This is one of those 'that might make a good picture' pictures that happened to come along when I actually had the camera handy. My arm kinda got in there, but that's part of what I like about it. :dunno:

Dillon is gone now... this is my favorite picture of him.

dillon1.jpg

This is the latest dog to enter our lives. About a month ago LOML found this guy under a bush in our front yard. He was emaciated, lethargic, unresponsive, and very badly bug-bitten. He'd obviously not eaten in a long time, but he wouldn't take water or food when it was offered to him. In short, he was dying. We called Animal Control to come pick him up and get him some help, since we weren't really in a position to take in a dying dog.

Although the pound was able to identify the owners (the dog was microchipped), the owners never responded to calls and letters informing them their dog had been found. (We suspect he was dumped in the canyon behind our house.) In the meantime, he was checked out by a vet and given sustenance and his health improved. LOML stayed in contact with the pound to stay updated on the dog's status. It became clear that he was not likely to be adopted due to his poor condition and age (about 6 to 8 years old, they're guessing), so shortly before he was to be put on death row, LOML and her friends ("the girls") intervened and arranged for him to be kenneled at a vet's office indefinitely until a new home can be found for him. One of the girls offered to cover any and all bills for boarding and vet treatment, and although she's paying personally, she's associated with an animal rescue and placement group, and they're working to find a suitable home for the dog.

The girls have been taking him on daily walks, and his health and spirits have improved markedly. He's got a great disposition, seems unflappable, and appears to get along well with other animals. He's recovering from some pretty serious skin issues, but he's now flea-free and getting daily skin conditioner treatments. He's also nothing but skin and bones, but he's eating well, and will get the weight back in time. I suspect he'll be moving in with us temporarily once his health improves a bit more, assuming he'll get along with our two dogs. Knowing LOML, "temporarily" may have an indefinite limit. ;) It looks like his name will be Phoenix.

DSC00715 C 800.jpg DSC00722 C 600.jpg

Today (Friday) he was sheared to get rid of much of his coat (to promote healing). Although I've not seen him since it was done, I know he looks a lot different now. :rolleyes:

Vaughn, your story sounds a lot like Sadie's story. I found her on a job site. I could count every bone in her body. She was timid and shy and just beat down. She was infested with fleas and ticks. Not as bad as Phoenix but I figured she only had a couple more weeks before she died.

Old soft hearted me could not leave that dog to die. I called my wife and told her about the dog and that if she didn't bite me when I tried to pick her up she was going in the truck and coming home with me. Or rather straight to the Vet. We have always joked that God sent the strays to us because he knew we would take care of them and find them homes.

She was not trusting but had allowed me to pet her a couple of times and was following me around, but keeping her distance. I really didn't want to leave her but I was afraid I would have to. I put all my stuff in the truck and to my surprise she was standing near by and allowed me to pet her. She didn't fight me or struggle when I picked her up. I quickly put her in my seat and got in with her before she panicked.

She was on the center console and the drivers seat. I tired to move her to the back seat but she just didn't understand and was of course scared. She ended up riding the next half hour sitting on the console with her head in my lap. I have never felt so bad for an animal.

Quick check up showed nothing seriously wrong other than the infestation and a skin condition, probably from malnourishment. Got her home, feed her small meals several times a day. After the first day I think I could have beat that dog and she wouldn't have left. She was just so happy to have food. She would have ate cardboard if you put it i the food bowl I think.

It was several weeks before she really trusted me, she would usually stay just at arms reach. Wanting to come to you but not quite trusting. It was months before she would come to my wife.

sadie.jpg

This is an older photos. She went from 26 lbs to just over 50lbs. She trims down down in the hot weather in the summer. She still has some issues from the abuse but they are minor. She has only made friends with my sister. That was after my sister had been her over a month or more and had really tried to win her trust with snacks. She still hates strangers and who can blame her??

Last edited:
Could not let the opportunity slip by to put up another picture of my best friend, Loaki.
Lokai (2).JPG
Rescued from a shelter about 8 years ago. A Aussie Healer/Border Collie mix. After we all went to obedience school things settled down and he has been the perfect companion ever since.