Oh-oh! What have I done?

This part of my walnut finishing schedule always freaks me out. I start with Solarlux Lemon Yellow dye and everything turns this gosh awful shade of yellow.

I've used the process (from Terri Masachi's Foolproof Wood Finishing) several times, so in my head I know it will be ok, but in my heart its "oh no I've ruined it."

Next steps are shellac seal coat, van dyke brown glaze, another seal coat and then varnish. I'll take some pics when its done.

Attachments

• yellow.jpg
    yellow.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 86
Oh my .. much much better ...

You gotta link with that formula? :D

No link, but here goes....

Sand to 180 grit. Wipe on Behlen' Solar Lux Lemon Yellow dye (I add 10% solar lux retarder to slow down the drying and give me more time). Wait 6 hours. Coat with a 1 pound mix of shellac (Zinser Sealcoat premixed shellac is fine). Wait an hour or so. Scruff the shellac with a purple scotchbrite pad or 220 sandpaper.

Wipe on a coat of Behlen's Van Dyke Brown glaze. After 10 minutes or so, wipe off excess. Let dry 4-6 hours. Apply another coat of shellac. Scruff as above.

Apply varnish of your choice. I'm going to use Behlen Rockhard Tabletop because the piece I'm building will go next to a dining table that has that finish.

The nice thing about this process is that it turns the sapwood into a nice golden color. Before I found this, I usually tossed the sapwood, so this saves money!

I've used the process (from Terri Masachi's Foolproof Wood Finishing) several times, so in my head I know it will be ok, but in my heart its "oh no I've ruined it."

Sound mighty complicated to me Jesse!.

I wonder how this Masachi woman came up with a formula like that! I suspect she messed up big time, used desperate measures to rectify it, it came out OK, and then she said 'Look at me, aren't I clever'

Hey, we've all done it!

I tend to just spray the stuff with AC lacquer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duncan

I've met her, she really knows her stuff. Teaches a class at finishing at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Maine

I didn't attend her class but attended a mini presentation she did, and I saw all the practice boards her students were making -- I think she takes a very deliberate and controlled approach to the finishing process.

I have her book as well, it is very good

Jay