My "Newest" Plane

Sean Wright

While visiting my parents tonight for a 4th of July dinner, I asked my Dad if he had a dial indicator I could borrow. This began a search through various drawers and cabinets. The final result was that he didn't have one, but he did give me this little Stanley Plane. :D

Attachments

• smplane1.jpg
    smplane1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 46
  • smplane2.jpg
    smplane2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 18
  • smplane3.jpg
    smplane3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 41
  • smplane4.jpg
    smplane4.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I have a similar plane with the nickel instead of blue, I think mine might be a 60 possibly.

One of my favorite planes, of the ones I own. It's so handy.

Even more special that your Dad gave it to you. Swwwweeeeeeeeeeet!

I looked it over pretty good before posting. I wasn't able to find any numbers on it. However after Steve posted the 60 1/2, I looked it up and it appears to be the same plane. The one I found online was made in England. This one is clearly marked Stanley Made in USA.

That is a low angle plane, right?

My dad gave me the steeper angle version of that, mine is blue, and not old at all, but it too is one of the most used planes in my Dungeon.

Great score...........so, what are you going to do about the dial indicator :huh: :D

Just got to agree with everyone else. Handier than a shirt (or Apron) pocket! It is one of my most used planes for sure!

If you don't know how, learn to sharpen it and tune it up. Get that blade to where you can shave hair with it. You will wonder how you ever got by without it! It will make a hand tool guy out of you!

Jeff

Nice Plane, Sean, you will find it very handy. I have the low angle Stanley I got from Woodcraft, and it says made in England on the Box, AND just England on the Plane. I "guess" it's a 60 1/2 since there are no markings on the Plane, but the Box says 12-960, which is kind of funny since the instruction sheet only shows a G12-060 for the 60 1/2, but the listing also shows info on the 9 1/2, 220, 110, 102, and H1247. Very confusing coming from an English speaking Country, but could be expected on the paperwork if it were from one of the Asian, Italian or Eastern European Mfrs.

I will say that even though it was from England, the fit of the MOUTH was very poor and It needed a LOT more tune up work ALL OVER than they used to, and I still haven't got it tuned to my total satisfaction, but it's getting there.

That is a low angle plane, right?

My dad gave me the steeper angle version of that, mine is blue, and not old at all, but it too is one of the most used planes in my Dungeon.

Great score...........so, what are you going to do about the dial indicator :huh: :D

Stu,

It is a low angle plane. Hopefully I will be able to restore, and bring it back to life. I was able to locate some information on restoring this type of block plane online. It will be my first attempt at this, so I hope it goes well.