Construction of Sorts

Sean Wright

This past October the Buffalo area had a extremely damaging suprise snow storm. About 12 to 18 inches of wet heavy snow hit us in less than 6 hours. In October most of our trees still had their leaves. The weight of the sudden snow on the leaves caused massive damage to trees all over the area. This included a 4 way split down the center of a maple tree in our front yard. Due to this damage we had to have the tree taken down. This was the tree where I had hung my son's swing the previous summer. At that point we decided to get a swing/play set for him.

Not having the time to design and build one myself we went with a kit from Home Depot. I had to build it, but the design and materials was all included with the exception of the 4x4s which I had to purchase seperatly. Not in a huge rush to put it together I did it myself over the course of a day and a half. The only modification I made to it was using a 4x4x12 for the swing beam. The instructions called for a 4x4x8. This, in my opinion would have put the 2 swings too close together.

The Little Guy had to be kept back for his own safety, even though he really wanted to help me with the build. On the start of the 2nd day, he saw me carrying my tools (wich included my 18v DeWalt drill) out to the back yard. He immediatly ran and grabbed his yellow toy drill and the little tape measure that I gave him and showed up at my side.

So far he really seems to enjoy it.

I plan on staining and sealing the wood this fall. I wanted to give the PT some time to dry up.

Attachments

• swing1.jpg
    swing1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 31
  • swing2.jpg
    swing2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 25
  • swing3.jpg
    swing3.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 21
  • swing4.jpg
    swing4.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 20
  • swing5.jpg
    swing5.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 19
  • swing6.jpg
    swing6.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 23
  • swing7.jpg
    swing7.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 34
Hmmmm...

Ask me why we do what we do...

Ask me the meaning of life...

I now have the answer:

"On the start of the 2nd day, he saw me carrying my tools (wich included my 18v DeWalt drill) out to the back yard. He immediatly ran and grabbed his yellow toy drill and the little tape measure that I gave him and showed up at my side."

Very cool stuff, Sean. This post really cheered me up!

Thanks,

Bill