An Experiment in Process

Thomas Smith

IMG_1943.JPG

I wanted to try an experiment in the preparation of this blank to turn. I had a small yellowheart and small purpleheart blanks that were about 5” square. I thought the woods might look nice together in contrast, but not having a drum sander, I didn’t want to start resawing these blanks too much and end up with some iffy glue joints. I thought about it one night while laying on the couch and wondered, what if I cored the blank and laminated the layers. But not coring in the curved blade sense, but more removing a a cone from within a circle sort of thing.

To start, I chucked up the yellowheart and trued the face on the lathe, turned a tenon and trued to bottom. I’m going to need it flat. I then took a parting tool, and at about a 50 degree angle, I started into the blank from the tailstock side aiming about 1” from the rim on the headstock side. Turning very slow, and patiently, I separated an outer chamfered ring, from an inner cone.

I then took the purpleheart blank and resawed about a 8 mm thick piece. I glued the purpleheart to the cone, and when the glue was dry, I rechucked the cone and trued the face of the purpleheart. I then glued the chamfered yellowheart ring on top of the purpleheart, and then a thicker purpleheart piece on top of that. Clamped and glued, I waited until last night.

I chucked the entire piece and turned a profile on the outside, and hollowed the bowl. What you see is the finished project. This is an experiment. In my opinion, the rim is way too much purpleheart. I could have turned it down a little more, but turning dry purpleheart was straining my tenon and I lost this bowl from the chuck twice in the process. As it is an experiment in process, I am, again, unhappy with the form. However, it’s a pretty cool looking little bowl.

In keeping with my wife’s appreciation of my artistic ability, she stated, “Neat. You can plant a little flower in it,” and walked off.

This is, thus, my layered, reverse cored “pot.”

Thanks for looking and please feel free to be critical.

Tom

Looks to me like the experiment was a success. Great looking and the contrast between the two"Heart" woods is remarkable. thanks for the posting and picture. As well as the explaination. :thumb:

I like it and I don't think the PH is too overpowering. I think it is a great combination! All of the stuff I do on the lathe is an experiment, I never seem to know what I'll find in a piece of wood!

Well the only problem that I see is that it falls over when you put fruit in it. Just kidding. It's a nice looking bowl. I like the woods that you chose.

From where I'm sitting, it looks like the experiment worked. :thumb: I like the creative thinking to get to your end result. I don't think the proportions between the yellow and purple are bad at all, and although the form may not be what you were after, I think it's pleasing nonetheless.

Nice job. :clap: