Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ehhh... What's up, Doc?

Ehhh... What's up, Doc?

While Carrotwood (Cupaniopsis anacardioides) is considered an invasive weed in Florida, it can grow to 35' tall and is often used as an ornamental shade tree.
    Even though it has very non-descript grain, it tends to be a pleasure to turn (big curlies!) and can be turned quite thin.
    This bowl is 7" in diameter, and has been tinted to reveal whatever slight amount of grain it has.
    Turned to 3/16" walls and finished with 2 coats GF Seal-A-Cell and 4 coats Semi-gloss Arm-R-Seal .

As always, comments and critiques welcome.
    ----------------------------------
    -Steven
    My lathe is my therapist

That's a good looking bowl. I haven't heard of carrot wood before. Looks interesting!

Very nice, Steven. The proportions look great for that form, and the finish looks excellent. I've never heard of carrotwood, but from your description, it sounds like it might be a good candidate for embellishments like dying and burning.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I'm with the others, never heerd of carrotwood. The finished bowl looks fine, nice form and great finish.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Nice looking bowl Steven! That finish makes the bowl look like it's made out of glass! Nicely done!

It looks very pretty.

Great looking bowl Steven. Excellent finish.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

BTW, Steven, IMHO, woods do not always have to be highly figured to be beautiful. Your carrotwood bowl is an example.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Very nice, Steven. The proportions look great for that form, and the finish looks excellent. I've never heard of carrotwood, but from your description, it sounds like it might be a good candidate for embellishments like dying and burning.
    Vaughn:
    Yes. It does take dyes well. I've never tried burning, but as you said it would probably take that kind of embelishment well.
    I've got one more piece and I was thinking about trying some piercing as well. If it comes out worth a hoot, I'll post it here.
    ----------------------------------
    -Steven
    My lathe is my therapist

Thats a great looking bowl.