My weekend projects...

Greg Cook

We've been remodeling our house to get it ready for sale later this year. Granite counter tops, new faucets, undersink plumbing, paint....and this...

I'm replacing all the AC sockets with new flat ones, new plates, new paddle switches, door hinges, door hardware, and other hardware to make the place really "POP"! (as they say on the DIY network). I've already installed black switches and sockets with brushed stainless steel plates in the kitchen. The pic shows about $800 worth of stuff to install this weekend.

Next will be my first crown molding install in our "Green House" bedroom.

We've been remodeling our house to get it ready for sale later this year. Granite counter tops, new faucets, undersink plumbing, paint....and this...

I'm replacing all the AC sockets with new flat ones, new plates, new paddle switches, door hinges, door hardware, and other hardware to make the place really "POP"! (as they say on the DIY network). I've already installed black switches and sockets with brushed stainless steel plates in the kitchen. The pic shows about $800 worth of stuff to install this weekend.

Next will be my first crown molding install in our "Green House" bedroom.

Hi Greg,:wave:
That looks like a lot of up and down. Do you have a really short stool that you can carry with you? Those additions will add their money's worth.
I have heard some people fix the place up and decide not to go. No chance with you all I expect.:D
Let us know how things are coming along, when you have time. Wish I were closer, I love doing stuff with the crown.
This is my mid term project for digital imaging I about three years ago but I have since lost touch with photoshop. The assignment was to be a book cover.

Workoncrownandshazlettering.psd.jpg

Shaz
P.S. Hey Greg,
Hope you don't mind my inserting this in your thread:eek: .

WOW! Shaz, that is might purdy... Do you have the book done? Any copies for sale, or for friends? :D Great concept and a very nice cover, but your work has always been awesome...:thumb: :bow:

I will be using the crown stops that came with the DW703 I bought with the stops, verticlalclamp and extension bar for $209/free shipping. I tried to change the order to a 12" CMS, but rather than returning the kit, I figured I'd keep it and give it a try. Even at 10", it's been a great molding saw.

I am also diagraming my entire house's electrical system. I've wanted to do this for a while and the socket/switch project is the nudge I needed.

I will be using the crown stops that came with the DW703 I bought with the stops, verticlalclamp and extension bar for $209/free shipping. I tried to change the order to a 12" CMS, but rather than returning the kit, I figured I'd keep it and give it a try. Even at 10", it's been a great molding saw. I don't know much about the factory stops but I am sure of all people you will find they are a real help. You understand that kind of technical stuff.:rolleyes: :D
Shaz

I am also diagraming my entire house's electrical system. I've wanted to do this for a while and the socket/switch project is the nudge I needed. That is very considerate. For the new owner..
You must feel you have enough time to do all that. Seems all so major to me. Glad for your undertaking, PUSH ON THROUGH THE STORM!!!:rofl: :rofl:
An admirer, of you initiative.:)

I will be using the crown stops that came with the DW703 I bought with the stops, verticlalclamp and extension bar for $209/free shipping. I tried to change the order to a 12" CMS, but rather than returning the kit, I figured I'd keep it and give it a try. Even at 10", it's been a great molding saw. I don't know much about the factory stops but I am sure of all people you will find they are a real help. You understand that kind of technical stuff.:rolleyes: :D
Shaz

Here's the stops. They are supposed to make cutting crown molding easier... I hope so!:eek:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7084...8-4881761?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1183770568&sr=1-19

Here's the stops. They are supposed to make cutting crown molding easier... I hope so!:eek:

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW7084...8-4881761?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1183770568&sr=1-19

I have the same saw you have (had it almost 3 years, it has been a very good tool) and the crown stops. I didn't like the crown stops, didn't hold the wood good enough against the fence. Mine are the same place Steve's are, on the shelve in their box.

I saw these being demoed at a woodworking shop and liked them.

http://www.cutncrown.com/

Are you planning on coping the corners or mitering the joints?

Randy

Interesting jigs, Randy.

I plan on mitering the joints. I will probably do come coping on the chair rails I'll be putting in later. This is new stuff, but I think I'm going to enjoy getting into molding stuff...:thumb:

Thanks.

I saw these being demoed at a woodworking shop and liked them.

http://www.cutncrown.com/

Randy

I picked this set up at a woodworking show last October. I have used them a few times so far. I got the 3 piece set of jigs for the 3 different types of crown molding. The guy also included an angle gage/protractor that can be put right into the corner to tell you exactly what the angle is. The set is handy because you only make miter cuts, the jig takes care of the bevel.

i have used them on my DeWalt 12in single bevel CMS. I have to pin the blade guard to an open position inorder to use these jigs. I'm not real thrilled to have to do it.:eek: But as I think of it, the guy doing the demo at the show didn't have a guard on is 12in Bosch CMS.

Before I picked up the cut-n-crown jigs I used the info in the following link to when cutting crown molding.
it has a table at the bottom that tells what to set the saw at for each angle.
http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/article.asp?ID=2

Last edited:
Well, I took a break from playing electrician and door man....:rofl: and make a couple of cuts on crown molding. Shaz was kind enough to send me some pics and instructions, and I was able to make a couple of templates...

Inside corner

Outside corner

Here's my setup. DeWalt DW703 10" CMS with the molding stops.

I didn't pay real close attention to tolerances, as I just wanted to figure out which way to orient the molding and the saw for the cuts. Trying to visualize something upside down and backwards....:eek: is not the easiest thing to do. Now I'll work on tighter cuts, and maybe some mods to the fences. I had a great, long talk with Shaz, and he gave me some ideas on how to improve the saw setup.

We also talked about cutter heads for the table saw to make some moldings, and I remembered one my Dad gave me....he used it when he built his and my Mom's last house.

Thanks again, Shaz! :bow:

I'll post more later on my electrical and hardware projects.

Last edited:
Thanks, Stu. I also think it's going to add a lot to the rooms.

I also got quite a bit done on the electrical and hardware side... This is what's left on the table... Still have hinges to replace and a few more sockets and switches, but I put a pretty good dent in the project...:rofl: