Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: A hose adapter question please.............

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Central CA

    A hose adapter question please.............

    My old Ridgid Shop Vac went to the Big Shop in the junk yard so I replaced it. I got the same size, 6.5 hp (yeah right), 16 gallon Ridgid. I figured I might as well finally get a couple of real adapters for my TS, BS and jointer instead of my mickey mouse makeshift ones.

    So here's the question; On Rocklers website, they list some different adapters. Among others they list a 4" to 2 1/2" reducer and also a 'Shop Vac Adapter". A notation say that the "Shop Vac Adapter works with 2 1/2" hose". What's the difference between the adapter and the reducer and which one should I get?

    Thanks very much for your information.
    Thanks, Mark.

    Custom Bonehead.

    My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

    "Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    ABQ NM
    Don't know the answer for your question, but I've had good duccess using rubber 4" to 3" sewer line reducers (the kind with hose clamps at both ends) to connect my shop vac to various 4" machine ports. Using the hose clamp that comes with it, the 3" end can easily be squeezed down to a nice tight friction fit on the end of your shop vac hose. Because of the hose clamps, you can make the 4" end fit nice and tight onto the machine, leaving a handy 2 1/2" rubber "socket" for your vac hose. Any borg or plumbing shop should have them, and as I recall, they were about the same price as the onces Rockler shows (but doesn't fully describe) on thier site.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Yup, I've used plumbing parts too, work a heck of a lot better on your vac than on you drains

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Tokiwadai, Japan

    You have to be careful of "inside" and "outside" diameter on those darn adaptors... I bought a few 4" to 2" and other size ones at a WW show for a good price only to find out the are the same size when butted up against each other (4" adaptor end to 4" tool outlet end) and are therefore useless... Same for a couple of 2", 1.5" ... Duct tape works, but it still looks like crap!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    No, not all of SoCal is Los Angeles!
    The adapter is for 2 1/2" DC hose. My Ridgid 6.5 uses standard 2 1/4" "Shop-Vac" sized fittings as well as some proprietary swivel fittings that fit the 6.5 but not my little 4HP (these horsepower ratings are of course run through the Shop-Vac magnifying filter).
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Similar Threads

  1. Monster Hollowing System Upgraded Adapter
    By Dan Mosley in forum Turning Tool Questions and Show & Tell
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-07-2014, 04:02 PM
  2. Corian vac adapter advice needed
    By Chuck Beland in forum Turning Tool Questions and Show & Tell
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 08:56 PM
  3. Head stock spindle adapter question
    By Jim C Bradley in forum General Woodturning Q&A
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-28-2009, 03:33 AM
  4. lathe chuck adapter insert
    By Frank Fusco in forum Old Ads
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-19-2008, 03:48 PM
  5. DC Hose
    By Al killian in forum General Woodworking Q&A
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2007, 07:09 AM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts