Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First hand saw refurb/new handle

First hand saw refurb/new handle

Just took some time and did some woodworking and it was like a vacation! Really enjoyed making this. Started out with a handsaw I found in a crawl space while doing an inspection on a home. It looked pretty rough as I am sure you can imagine. Very rusty! Didn't think to take a before photo.

It's a cheap saw so I figure I couldn't ruin it. Good saw to practice sharpening and handle building on. If it turned out to cut good that was just a plus! Main thing it is to be a Guinea pig.

I cleaned the blade and it wasn't pitted as bad as I expected. Took some walnut I had in the shop and here is the results. I didn't spend a lot of time on it, there are some fairly obvious flaws but it was mainly a learning exerciser and I expect this to be a user saw. It is still sharp to my surprise.

BTW I REALLY want a Spindle sander now. Can't buy one but I really want one! I have always thought they would be nice. After making this I can see where there would be essential once you got used to having one.

It amazed me how spots show up in the photos I never saw. Like that rusty spot at the back of the blade. I didn't see that till I saw the photos!

God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Very nice handle there. Ye dun gud.
    Neanderthals use oscillating spindle sanders?
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Done good! Too bad you don't have the before - I bet it's a huge difference.

Wes

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Nice job!

I have a few in the works myself...but had some slowdown in making backs.

Nice looking wood! You might notice more comfort by rasping down those sharp edges, but some prefer a handle as you've done. Looks good Jeff.

The Guinea Pig is a Beauty, Jeff. Very good first try. (I'm with you on wanting an oscillating spindle sander, but can't yet, or the edge sander either)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff View Post
    Nice looking wood! You might notice more comfort by rasping down those sharp edges, but some prefer a handle as you've done. Looks good Jeff.
    I agree, after I use it a while I figure I will find somethings I don't like. I pretty much copied the original design. Figure that was a good starting point. I need a larger round over bit too. The grip needs a bigger radius on it so it more comfortable on the hand. All I have are shaper bits and the are to big for inside work. As I said, it's guinea pig.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    I agree, after I use it a while I figure I will find somethings I don't like. I pretty much copied the original design. Figure that was a good starting point. I need a larger round over bit too. The grip needs a bigger radius on it so it more comfortable on the hand. All I have are shaper bits and the are to big for inside work. As I said, it's guinea pig.
    I almost didn't comment, because some folks do prefer a squarer handle like that, and I've seen some of the saws that Spruce Mill makes that have that appearance. I wasn't trying to be critical, per se, but just offer a suggestion.

Here's some pics of a Disston saw I rehab'd a while back, you can see what a small bit of rasping has done to that handle. That only takes an hour or so, but does require some patience to get good results. Wenzloff is one of the greats in our time, as is Leif Hanson, IMO, I've always liked Leif's handles also.

OTOH, some folks don't care for a softer handle, but I think that's how most of the saws were, before money hungry mongers got a hold of the saw industry.

(linky pic)

I will offer these un-solicited thoughts. I have tried to learn and understand as much about saws as I can, because I just like them, I like using them, I like fettlin' with them, they're cool. But the fact that you can cut accurate joinery with them, it's facinating. The handles are something that really seperate many of the makers over the years, and the best handles tend to have come out of the Sheffield area, where toolmakers were much like modern day contractors who would work on a per-job basis, but would specialize in a niche craft. The handles of Sheffield were very ornate, some had carved elements such as the lamb's tongue, but many makers added little details, sometimes small flattened areas, but detail to craftsmanship, IMO.

As the crafts continued to die, as witnessed with the Industrial Revolution...saw making took a similar turn. Modern day manufacturing has made disposable saws with plastic handles. Sure, it took a long time to get there, but when the saw makers started to make handles on machines, and then continued to try to shorten the build process for a product, the saws looked boxy by the 40s/50s, as witnessed in my link above.

Ok...I'm on my way to build an anvil stand, maybe a vise stand as well...<g>
    Last edited by Alan DuBoff; 07-08-2007 at 08:50 PM.

"fettlin' "

Now, there's a new word. Or is it a new 'old' word? I'll have to use it next time I go to the cattle auction or set down on an bench at the court house square with the local whittlers. Make me sound like I actually know wat I'm talking about. It will, fer sure.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    "fettlin' "

Now, there's a new word. Or is it a new 'old' word? I'll have to use it next time I go to the cattle auction or set down on an bench at the court house square with the local whittlers. Make me sound like I actually know wat I'm talking about. It will, fer sure.
    Frank,

As long as you sound like you know whatz-up, that should be good enough for the cattle auction. Don't forget your boots, I hear it gets deep at the cattle auction!

I almost did not comment either, and to be honest with you, maybe I shouldn't now. Still others are being honest so here goes with my question that I hope does not infuriate anyone..

Is Walnut the right choice for a saw handle?

Most older saws that I have seen typically had Fruitwood handles on them. When I try and replace my old saw handles I look for wood such as Crab Apple or Pear which are harder than the hinges in a very hot spot!!

For what it is worth I have some Crab Apple sitting in my solar kiln and has been in there for a year or more. If you want to try some fruitwood handles just let me know and I will send you a piece of it.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"