Early this week, my Delta 15 inch 240 volt planer started to trip it’s 20 amp circuit breaker. I am not sure what the problem is and, thanks to Rick Thom, I can put off solving it until later. Rick knew that I wanted to get sufficient parts made this week so that some interesting structures can be built. I am leaving Toronto in a couple of days to go to our camp in Northern Ontario and I want to take the log kit with me. Tuesday morning about 8:30 Rick arrived unannounced with his DeWalt 13 inch portable planer. I made good use of it during the rest of the week:
I made a lot more of the same parts shown earlier. In addition, Isla and I designed windows and doors. I made two windows and one door frame. Both the window and door frames are the same width and are used in the middle of a wall with the short wall pieces stacked on each side and embedded in the envelope formed by the frame. Below are a couple of pictures showing a window under construction.
First acrylic is installed in slots cut into the frame:
Then, molding is glued and screwed on all four edges of both side of the frame, forming and envelope that will surround a portion of the adjacent logs:
The space between the molding is slightly (about 5mm) wider than the logs so that the window can easily be put in place and subsequently removed by children.
The following series of three pictures shows a (very low) wall with a window being built:
Observe the log above the widow. It does not appear very well in this photo but the log has been decorated by one of my grandchildren –Ethan. I plan to have each of my grandchildren decorate one or two logs. The decorated log has also had one coat of Spar Urethane applied over the drawing. All the logs will eventually have Spar Urethane applied.
A similar approach was used to build a door frame:
The door frame has a built-in sill that fits over the half log below and rests on the ground. We have yet to design a door. It must be something that a child can easily install into the frame and remove from the frame.