Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a childrens life size log construction set from old fence boards

Building a childrens life size log construction set from old fence boards

Isla, my 7 year old granddaughter, is very interested in the construction of buildings and, while she and I were sitting in our refurbished garden this week, it struck both of us that she could use the old cedar boards from the fence that I recently tore down to make forts, playhouses and other such structures. We put together a quick prototype in the shop and it worked.
    Here is a photo of a portion of the fence taken earlier this spring before I tore it down:

Attachment 10539

The fence is 33 years old and the boards are cedar. They are in reasonably good shape.
    I decided to make a construction kit of parts that could be put up and torn down at will. The basic idea for the parts comes from my Pan Abode cedar cabin that I assembled on Pellows Island thirty one years ago.
    Thirty three years has resulted in some wear and tear and there are some cracks, missing knots, and nail holes, so I decided to glue and screw two boards together to make the parts. The boards were planed on one side then glued with waterproof glue and clamped:

Attachment 10540 Attachment 10541 Attachment 10542

Next the boards were planed on the exterior to a uniform depth (32 mm), to a uniform width (130 mm), and to one of several standard lengths. Next, two or four notches (depending on the part) were cut into each part using a jig saw. Depending on the parts, one to three stainless steel screws were inserted. The notches are 38mm wide which gives some play allowing children to easily put them together and take them apart.

Attachment 10543

The next step was to fill various holes in the part with Bondo auto body filler then to sand it. I will also round all the edges with round-over bit then paint each board with a couple of coats of spar varnish but have not yet done so. Here is a photo of a typical part:

Attachment 10544

Here are the parts that have been produced so far:

Attachment 10545

And here they are assembled into a couple of typical configurations:

Attachment 10546 Attachment 10547

I need to make a LOT more of the parts that have already been designed and Isla and I have to design something for windows, doors, and roofs. Stay tuned!
    Cheers, Frank

Frank,

Great idea. She is going to love it.

Randy

very nice mate....I wish I had a old fence

Thanks Randy and Patrick.

If you don't have an old fence Patrick, these things could be made from new wood, but that would make them rather expensive.

And, welcome to Family Woodworking Patrick!
    Cheers, Frank

You are a very nice Granddad, She is going have wonderful memories and you too!

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

Don Taylor is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    What a wonderful GrandDad you are Frank. That child will always remember the great fun had with that building set.

DT

That's too cool, Frank. I would have loved to have something like that as a kid. (Hardcore Lincoln Log and Erector Set player speaking here.) A bit bulky to store perhaps, but well worth it if you have the space, in my opinion.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks Bob, Don, and Vaughn.

Being a granddad, gives me the excuse to play with kids toys again. And it's even better that now I can make just about any toy that I want to play with.
    Cheers, Frank

You are a COOL grampa! A giant Lincoln log set, man what fun! I want to come play!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Nelson View Post
    You are a COOL grampa! A giant Lincoln log set, man what fun! I want to come play!
    Thanks Ed, you are more than welcome to visit (and to play).
    Cheers, Frank