When's the last time you moved your bench?

glenn bradley

I'm on the fence as to whether or not to put levelers on my 'next' bench. I'll gain a minimum of 1/2" if I add them and be focusing the weight on a smaller spot than if used without.

I'm of the opinion that if I position the bench I probably won't move it for a very long time. Bench weighs about 300lbs. I have a rolling worktable that is used for that purpose. Just wondering what others have found.

Had a bench mounted to the wall, hated it.
Built a bench not mounted to wall, hated it, to big and heavy to move.

Built a third bench with rollers, Love it........Made it the height as my chop saw, table saw.
It serves as out bench, bench you name it.

:thumb::thumb:

I have two heavy benches that stay in place and two portable Festool Multi-Function Tables. I find that I use the later two more becuase they can be moved. Right now I am building a "real" woodworking bench and it (like almost everything in my shop) will be mobile.

I have moved mine several times but I think they will stay where they are now (more or less) for a while. Loaded with tools they weigh at least 300 lbs. But moving them isn't that hard, not fun but.....

Just lift it up with a flat bar and slide something under there. Continue till it's high enough for some dowels. Then I just roll and drag it to where I want. Depending on your floor you could use carpet or a number of things to move it.

I don't want my bench on anything that will move. I plane on them. Push on them. Clamp things and use long wrenches with lots of leverage. I don't want mine movable. An assembly table, maybe.

I wind up moving mine about once a year, usually to accommodate special needs from a project, e.g. extra large piece of work, lots of parts, etc.

I'm taking a class starting next week at the local community college. It meets 5 days a week for 2 weeks and at the end everyone will have built a bench. So I'm going to be doing a lot of bench moving in the next few weeks.:eek:

Moved mine back against the wall a couple days ago. I put mine on casters specifically to be able to move it. Makes a great outfeed table when I need it! Once I have a REAL shop like everyone here seems to be building, I doubt it would need to be moved at all!

Moved mine back against the wall a couple days ago. I put mine on casters specifically to be able to move it. Makes a great outfeed table when I need it! Once I have a REAL shop like everyone here seems to be building, I doubt it would need to be moved at all!
I think I have a "real shop" and I certainly want a bench that can easily be moved. Of course, when I want it to stay still as when planing, it must stay still (and it will).