Junior Woodworker Information

Allen Bookout

I just learned something from my Granddaughter, Morgan Bookout, that is visiting us for the week. A couple of days ago we had just finished an early dinner and were planning what we were going to do next and Morgan suggested that we go to HomeDepot and get a project to work on. I had no idea what she was talking about but we went anyway. She marched right in and found out where the Kids Workshop projects were. Since she was not going to be here during the workshops, they gave her three projects to work on in my shop. For those of you that might have junior woodworkers around, HomeDepot runs these workshops the first Saturday of each month. I think that this a great idea to get the younger set interested in woodworking.
We give HOME DEPOT a big thumbs-up !!! :thumb:

Below is a picture of Morgan part way through one of her projects. You will notice that she is also wearing a Homedepot work apron that they also gave her as well as one of my safety glasses.

Morganwoodworker1.jpg

Yup - that is very cool and you're a lucky guy to be able to work with her!!

It looks like she's almost done making a plant pot holder and it looks pretty good to boot!

cheers

What a great big smile! I love it. I have done my own workshops with the girl scouts - the older girls - we built some large bookshelves for the food pantry. The younger girls - Home Depot donated an entire case of project - jewelry boxes as well as the tools to borrow for the afternoon and we made those. So Yes, thumbs up to Home Depot.

(will insert picture once I resize it).

That's just great Allen. How many kids today would choose a project to work on when ask what they would like to do these days? That girl has a head on her shoulders! :thumb:

Give her a big Family hug from all of us!

DT

That is great! This is the best thing I have heard of HD for a very long time. I'm sure the Bookouts enjoyed this one and are looking forward to doing another.

Funny you should mention that Allen -- I went into HD Saturday Morning for some 2x's and there was a bunch of kids in orange smocks with parents and HD ladies working on projects --

Excellent Community relations for HD -- let's keep those kids off the streets and doing productive activities.

That is great work Morgan, I hope you let your Grandpa help you a little bit, you don't want to show him up too bad when you are just starting out ;) :D

Good to hear someone at HD has their thinking cap on, too bad that the kids don't get this stuff in school much anymore, but I think that between places like HD and people like Allen and Gail, the kids will do just fine.

Morgan, we expect to see pics of the other two projects as well.

Hi Allen! :wave: