Wall Cleat Height?

glenn bradley

Those of you who opted for cleats along the length of a wall to allow easy rearrangement of cabinets and racks; what heights did you decide on? It seems like 30-odd inches for lower cabinets, about 6 feet for upper cabinets and a higher cleat for pegboard panels and the like would work but I wanted to get some input of what others did or would have done differently.

Most interior designers like to hang pictures so the tops of them are even with the tops of the windows. A smart carpenter would either let a strip of plywood into the studs at this level (say a 6 inch strip around the parameter of each room) or nail in blocking between the studs at this level. I however am not a smart carpenter :)

In my addition I let plywood into the studs around the toilet for the toilet paper holder, a future grab bar and a 4 foot square sheet above the vanity so she can attach her external medicine cabinet to it easily. Now when I say "let in" I mean I cut my studs back by 1/2 an inch and put plywood in there. That way the drywall can be run right across the plywood, but screws can be placed anywhere and still get grip.