What's your favorite wood

Cherry is such a pleasure to work. It machines so very nicely, the odor of the shop is wonderful and I have no allergy to it like mahogany and walnut. The beauty of cherry is unsurpassed too, I think.

That said, I just built a pair of French Doors, 2'0" x 6'8", ten lites each, 2 1/4" thick, for my family room (the paneling in that room is raised walnut) and it is a very handsome pair of doors if I do say so myself.

I also like white oak. A much superior wood to red oak, it is able to withstand outdoor exposure, is tighter grained, and takes a beautiful finish.

For carving, nothing beats mahogany. So, every wood has its pluses and minuses. It really depends on where and how you're using it.

Cherry is such a pleasure to work. It machines so very nicely, the odor of the shop is wonderful and I have no allergy to it like mahogany and walnut. The beauty of cherry is unsurpassed too, I think.

I agree completely. I love working with cherry.

Most of my work is in oak though. Is it just me or are oak splinters the most painful?

I would have to go with MDF...... Just Kidding :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I work primarly with Red Oak and Pine (not at the same time). It all depends on the project. My next non-shop related project (jigs and such) is going to be Mission Picture Frames in White Oak.

IMHO

Walnut followed by cherry. Oak and Maple also have their place but less attractive to me. And YES, I too love MDF (also only kidding)

Hi Gail, :wave:
Having just come across this thread, may I say your piece is quite lovely. It looks like the kind of project that would have been fun to build and... "throw in your favorite wood" :D . How lucky can you get?:rofl:
I agree with Ed on the hiding of the component faces with a grille cloth. Also agree with Tod concerning the alder issue.
Woods of choice... spalted sycamore and spalted pecan
Shaz

Spalted alder is one of my recent turning wood hauls, so I've been using it quite a bit for bowls and hollow forms. This being from a years-dead tree, it's kind of punky and not really an indication of how alder lumber might behave. I've also made a lot of peices from ironbark red eucalyptus. Kind of a pain to work (moves a lot while drying, and gets REAL hard when dry), but I really like the look of the finished product. For turning, I like maple, box elder, and about anything else that will survive the ride.

For flat stuff, curly maple, and cherry would have to be my favorites. I also like the looks of jatoba and bubinga, but they are not as nice to work with as cherry of maple. Walnut is nice, but there are other dark woods that I prefer (like mesquite).

For flat stuff, curly maple, and cherry would have to be my favorites. I also like the looks of jatoba and bubinga, but they are not as nice to work with as cherry of maple. Walnut is nice, but there are other dark woods that I prefer (like mesquite).
Oh Vaughn...You are such a Prima Donna!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I think I am going to start calling you "Vonna":D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
sshazz:eek:

Shaz...no disrespect inferred whatsoever. :) If people aren't pulling my chain, I figure they don't like me anymore. :p

:poke:

Consider you chain yanked................. Vonna :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Since when did you like me?
flirt.gif

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You guys need to stop having so much fun on Gail's thread. :rofl:
Oh, by the way, all this would have been impossible had it not been the introduction of this thread. Thanks Gail, You're the best!!!!!
Shaz