Baby/Dog gate plans

Jim O'Dell

Hi! Anyone know of good site or book on building baby gates? I've seen a couple sites that sell them. I like the idea of a Mission style gate, but I want to build my own. White Oak probably since most of our furniture is oak. Any ideas that you have seen or built? I'd prefer the ones that pressure fit in the door way, but I'm not totally opposed to hard mounting them if need be so they would latch shut, but then swing out of the way. TIA!! Jim.

I dont have any plans or links. The one that I made a long time ago was hard mounted with spring loaded hinges, which when it closed it latched automatic. Just make sure that if you do mount it to attach it to a stud. You dont want any problems with a baby trying to climb on it and it come out. The spacing betwwen spindles on mine where two inches. No chance of anything getting cought in there.

I gotta feeling this isn't for a baby! I'm guessing the furry kids are needing to be contained. I have several around our home, mostly store bought but I did make one. Used cafe door hinges and a sliding latch. I'll try to remember to get a pic tonight. I'm hoping you get some more input on this. I need a gate for the upstairs hall that needs to go between the stairwell banister and wall and I need some ideas on that!

I don't have a plan but I built a gate to keep my grand daughters from going down the stairs to the basement.

It is made to span the middle and bottom hinges of where once hung a door (I finished the basement several years ago and removed the door as we frequent the area (so frequently) When the girls came along SWMBO was using an old compression thing that clamped between the sides and was a Royal PITA, etc. I set forth with a goal and some scrap wood and started to create. The Pineapple is because my wife adores pineapples and the deatail is throughout the house. The slats were from a previous project that I changed the design about halfway through so the rest is just frame and adornment.

After I hung the gate I thoughtabout (If I had made the latch side taller I could have used a latch with the striker plate. But hindsight is 20-20 instead I use a hook, you must reach over to undo.

Attachments

• Gate1.jpg
    Gate1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 26
Thanks guys. Ed's right, this is for the 4 leggers. :thumb: We have one rescue dog we have to keep separated from our 2 younger girls. Our older of the 2 (Tas) will catch the rescue girls eye, they stare at each other for about 15 seconds, then the fight is on. The first time, Tas ended up with an 8" gash down the back of her neck that took 6 stitches. It was just skin deep and looked worse that it was, but they will not be friends! The youngest (Tainey) just runs and barks at the rescue just trying to stir things up.
So we herd dogs to different areas of the house while we move other outside for potty breaks, and use baby gates where we can to keep from restricting air flow in the house. The 2 baby gates we have , one wood one plastic, are both in bad shape. The plastic one doesn't work at all any more, and the wood one is broken is several places. Thus the need.
Thanks all for the ideas, and the picture Bill. Ed I look forward to your picture if you can do that. Jim.

Here's the one I made. I made the gate high enough for the cats to go under, but I had to clamp the board on the bottom of the gate when we got the spaniel. He may be round enough to not fit any more, but we haven't verified that!
IMG_0072.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_0073.jpg
[/IMG]

As you can see, I'm past due to do some touch up painting!

I too need to build replacement gates

Jim, I thought I was the only one herding and seperating dogs. A similar situation where two females absolutely must be kept apart. The dogs have defined the human routines.

Jim, I thought I was the only one herding and seperating dogs. A similar situation where two females absolutely must be kept apart. The dogs have defined the human routines.
Yes, that remark describes our household!!:eek: :D What's really odd here, is that this same rescue is perfectly fine with our two 12 year olds. A bitch and a dog. The bitch is the dam of the one that had to get stitches! Jim.

Last edited: