Problem Returning to Thread from Picture Viewing

Norman Hitt

Does anyone else have a problem returning to the thread after clicking on a thumbnail to view the larger image? Since this forum is set up so we have to click on the big red X at the top right of the screen to return instead of clicking on the Back button, I have a real problem. Although the problem comes and goes, it still works out to nearly 40 % of the time that when I click on the Red X to return to the thread after viewing the larger image, it doesn't return, but instead closes the FWW forum, and I have to click on my FWW shortcut Icon and bring it back up, and go through the process to get back to the thread I was looking at. Needless to say, this is a Real PITA. I don't have any idea what is causing this but it has been happening off and on for the last three months. (I wish we could just hit the back button and get back to the thread).

If anyone has any idea how to fix this problem, I would appreciate any and all input you might have, as I haven't got a clue.:huh: :dunno: :huh: :dunno: :(

Hmmm... you sure it's the forum software, and not your browser settings? Which browser are you using?

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, being more than a Little "Computer Stupid", I'm not sure of ANYTHING.:eek:
I do know that I haven't changed anything since long before the problem started getting so regular. I "Think" the Browser Is Microsoft Internet Express, (I can't seem to find where it tells me), but I do know that the E-mail uses Outlook.

I agree on the "Back" philosophy but I think we're in the minority here. I recall a discussion about it and this is what was decided.

Norman, I'm taking a guess here but are you using Internet Explorer 7? If so, maybe you are closing the IE application instead of closing the tab in which the picture is appearing? The same problem could occur in Firefox.

I use Firefox for web browsing, and I have downloaded the free "back is close" plugin for firefox.

Now, when I click on a photo here, it opens the photo in a new tab, and changes my focus so that I'm looking at that tab. When I'm finished I can either click the FamWW tab to get back to the forum, or I can click back (or hit the backspace key) to close that tab and also pop back to the FamWW tab.

Works great, and I heartily endorse this method.

Norm,

You can change this on your machine, if you're using firefox or IE 7. Take firefox. If you go to tools> options> tabs, it will ask you 'should I open a link in a new tab, or a new window. Personally, I use the new tab option. In IE 7, it's tools> internet options> tabs> Settings.

If you're still running IE 6, it's only good for one thing: using it to get IE 7... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Sorry guys, I much prefer the 'close window' v.s. the 'back button' method. I would frequently close myself right out of the forum that used that method. Something I should learn not to do but, frustrating when I forget.

Its just a difference in how people use their PC, what applications they frequently use and their approach to the universe at large. That's why we call them 'personnel' computers. Art's got it in that he configures his machine to let him navigate the forum how he chooses.

Not really sure what the problem is Norman.

Just a note here.

Smc and some other fourms that use this software, are not set up this way.

Yeah, I know, and I KNOW I'm in the minority here too, but I'll tell you right up front that I preferred that other setup 1000% over this one. This dialup system we're on is slow enough in itself, without having to constantly log back onto the forum.

As to what is running, I don't remember what my Computer GURU said he put in here, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't IE7. Seems like he mentioned some problems with IE7 or something.

Rob, I'm clicking on the SAME Red X every time, but sometimes it works right and goes back to the thread, and sometimes it just closes out FWW.

I don't know if this is of any use to anyone, but it's of use to me. If i click on a thumbnail in the thread, i ALWAYS ALWAYS hold my shift key when i click. No matter what browser I'm using, it opens in a new window and that way i know that i can ALWAYS just close the window (ctrl+w, click the x, etc).

If I'm in firefox, I ctrl+shift+click so that it opens in a new tab, but that's just my preference.

I have found that my practice makes every forum feel the same, no matter what their settings are.