Thread: Shaving Corain

Shaving Corain

I was wondering about Corain. What I need to know is what would be the best way to take it from 1/2" down to 3/8" or 1/4". I did run a peice thru the planer. WOW, what a mess that made. There was blue dust all over everything. It did make it nice and smooth. I had to take lighter passes has it booged down the planer. I was afraid to let it mix with the sawdust becouse I was unsure if it is safe to put in a flower bed or not.That is the reason for the mess. So what would you do to reduce the thickness? I did think about taking the planer out side, however I am located next to a large brick building that couses echos and makes loud noises even louder.

Never mind I was just given a link on that other site and found out it is not a health hazord.

Shaving corian

Al,

Good that you found something on this subject, but how about sharing that link for the Corian?

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Al I would choose a plunge router with a sled to reduce the thickness. Oh and a dust collection set up also, it does make a lot of shavings. This should give you good results.
    Chuck

Here is the link for Corain health hazard.http://www.parksite.com/productgroup.../msds_3_42.pdf
    The sled and plunge router sounds good, but My router at this time is just a fixed base.

Al, you can do it with a fixed base router also. Just ease the router into the Corion and take small cuts of an eighth of an inch and it will work fine.

Chuck

From what I know of Corian, you need Carbide blades to keep from wearing down the cutter more than the Corian.

I don't know what you are doing Al, but I am sure it needs to be done. Surfacing the stuff sounds hard on your planer. Wish I had a solution other than to buy some 1/4" already made. By the way, what are you doing anyhow?
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

I have resawed it with my bandsaw and a carbide blade with great success. Finish is good enough that sanding handles the rest. By resawing you save material that could be used for decorative inlays or for bonding to other cutoffs to create neat blanks for the lathe. No matter the material, I try to make as few chips as possible with the planer.
    Last edited by Sam Blasco; 07-14-2007 at 10:47 PM.
    Mini Max Tool Acquisition Mediator.
    "An old man to most kids and a young man to those who are dead."

www.samantics2.com