Shaving Corain

Al killian

I was wondering about Corain. What I need to know is what would be the best way to take it from 1/2" down to 3/8" or 1/4". I did run a peice thru the planer. WOW, what a mess that made. There was blue dust all over everything.:eek: :rolleyes: :rofl: It did make it nice and smooth. I had to take lighter passes has it booged down the planer. I was afraid to let it mix with the sawdust becouse I was unsure if it is safe to put in a flower bed or not.That is the reason for the mess. So what would you do to reduce the thickness? I did think about taking the planer out side, however I am located next to a large brick building that couses echos and makes loud noises even louder.

From what I know of Corian, you need Carbide blades to keep from wearing down the cutter more than the Corian.

I don't know what you are doing Al, but I am sure it needs to be done.:) Surfacing the stuff sounds hard on your planer. Wish I had a solution other than to buy some 1/4" already made.:D By the way, what are you doing anyhow?:huh: :D
Shaz

I have resawed it with my bandsaw and a carbide blade with great success. Finish is good enough that sanding handles the rest. By resawing you save material that could be used for decorative inlays or for bonding to other cutoffs to create neat blanks for the lathe. No matter the material, I try to make as few chips as possible with the planer.

Last edited: