Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fence Project

Fence Project

I have been asked to build a custom fence around a back yard, about 250' of fence. We are thinking about using horizontal slats and I am thinking of using Ipe for the posts and cypress for the slats. I understand Ipe is quite difficult to work with. Do any of you guys have experience with it? Do you have any suggestions for alternate wood. The only specification so far is no PT lumber! It will include a gate with an automatic opener across the driveway. The house is a 1920's craftsman bungalow.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Ipe isn't too bad... IF you use carbide tooling.... So you'd be ok making posts out of it, just buy the posts and cut to length. It'll drill ok, but use through bolts to hold whatever goes across because the ipe is a bit too hard to thread into reliably. You could probably use machine screws though and tap the ipe

Only other thing I can tell you is stay as far away from Cabot's Australian Timber Oil as you can even if the guy where you buy the ipe is giving you a line that smells like roses instead of that other stuff. Can't figure out why they push that junk for putting on ipe, but I've found Sikkens SRD to be a better choice (though thats a recent application, so we're still in test mode), or if you have trouble finding that, Penofin is also pretty good stuff. Put it on real thin so as not to build a film.

Hi Ed,
    From Library bookcases to custom fences, just what the carpenter loves.! Never a dull moment
    Green heart from around Gyuana, South America for sure, "or" purple heart might work. Don't know if you can find them or not.
    Look forward to this one.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Hey Shaz! I know I can get PH from Woodcraft, but I don't know if I could get 4x4 pieces! I would also guess it would be pricey! Could make for a cool Fence though! I think I'll need about 35~40 posts and he wants an 8' fence! I think I can get the Ipe for around $2, but I'm not sure if that is bf or lf Gotta check that!

Should be a fun project and yes, I'm open to what ever!

My answer to questions about what wood to use outdoors is almost always cedar. So, I suggest cedar. It last forever, smells good, and is easy to work with!
    Cheers, Frank

Well I finally started putting up the boards for the fence project I'm working on. Decided to go with PT posts and cypress boards. Here's a pic of what I've done so far.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic

Ed, I used Cedar for my 650 linear feet of fence. I did it in a "neighbor friendly" style, with a trim strip on both sides at the bottom...2x4 only at the top on the back side, but a matching trim strip on my side.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Nelson View Post
    Well I finally started putting up the boards for the fence project I'm working on. Decided to go with PT posts and cypress boards. Here's a pic of what I've done so far.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic
    Hi Ed, Thanks for keeping us abreast. Greg really has a lot of fence, nice looking too. That cedar is hard to beat!
    My experiences tell me you need something vertical between posts to do two very important things.#1 keep the spacing the same between boards. ( the cedar even set vertically wil move in and out and swell with the weather. I think you need something to help maintain those spaces between the boards and #2 that vertical if set on a brick or something indescreet but firm will keep your whole span (from pole to pole) from sagging. You will be proud 3 years from now, And ten years too.
    I'll come over, we will get some lawn chairs and sit there having a cocktail, telling lies and admiring your fence! 2017.
    Good so far!!!
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Hi Ed,
    Man that looks like a lot of work!! Are you starting out with a standard width board and ripping others to the more narrow pieces? Nice looking job, got any help? Keep us posted.
    Thanks,
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Here is how

Hey Shaz. I am ripping a 1x6 in half for the narrow boards. I have some issues to deal with tomorrow. Got the posts stained the way these folks wanted them, but now they are wanting them not so red! I checked with them several times before I stained the posts, but they were sure this is what they wanted. Any ideas on toning the color down a bit?