Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Display Humidor

Display Humidor

OK, I've got my wood, and BOY did I pay for it, so now, I want to start working on the design.

I have a basic idea in my head, but I'm looking for some more ideas.

I'm posting a bunch of pics of commercially available humidors, and then I'll try to give you my idea of what I want to build.

I'm using Walnut for the main case, and it will lined with Luan, as I cannot get Spanish Cedar here for some reason, most likely some protectionist reason, it is on the banned list here, in Japan.

The humidor will be in two pieces, the bottom will be all wood, and will be for storage of boxes of cigars.

The top will be all glass walls, with glass doors in front.

The doors will be like most RP doors, but with glass instead of wood for the panels.

The size is going to be 45 cm deep, 120 cm wide and about 180 cm tall.

The top will be not quite as deep as the bottom.

OK here are some pics of ready made humidors.....

Attachment 1004Attachment 1005Attachment 1006Attachment 1007Attachment 1008
    Attachment 1009Attachment 1010Attachment 1011Attachment 1012

Just some ideas.

I'm thinking that the walls of the display case (the corners, I guess) will be 1" thick stock for the strength, the doors too, as they will be carrying a fair bit of glass.

I'm going to go with the type of RP work that will have the back strip of on each panel to allow the installation of the glass, and the replacement if one gets busted.

I'll try to draw something in SketchUp to give you a better idea....

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

stu, some of those are flat ugly! where is this piece to sit? viewed from how many sides? what`s the footprint? what do you want the piece to accomplish? doors/drawers........drawers behind doors.......what style? modern, federal, queen ann........ideas man! not ready made schlock
    walnut is the wood......is this to only store cigars? or loose tobacco too? do you want to be able to display pipes and smoking accessories along side the humidor? or will you offer these in a seperate part of the store?......we need input in order to help
    Last edited by tod evans; 11-22-2006 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spellin` of course
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I know nothing about humidors or selling cigars but when you said what you doing I had something pictured like the last one on the bottom row and Third one on the first row. I like the looks of those two. I am sure you can imporove on those too.

tod, the only thing we have to remember is that it will go into Stu's place of business where it can get abused to a degree by the public, so therefore it would need to be somewhat utilitarian in design, I agree with you if it was in in his own home he should use your approach to design.

Personally Stu, I like this one. But maybe it is too nice to be in a public place and get scratched, etc.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Hey Stu....I was wondering about humidity control. with all that glass and no Spanish Cedar, are you going to have trouble with regulation? Not that I know anything...that's just what first popped into my tiny little brain.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    stu, some of those are flat ugly! where is this piece to sit? viewed from how many sides? what`s the footprint? what do you want the piece to accomplish? doors/drawers........drawers behind doors.......what style? modern, federal, queen ann........ideas man! not ready made schlock .............................

Tod....please.......don't hold back or be coy. Tell us how you really feel about those exmples.

Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

hey........i`ve got the flu bug too........watch out there`s no tellin` what i`ll spout off with today
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    stu, some of those are flat ugly! where is this piece to sit? viewed from how many sides? what`s the footprint? what do you want the piece to accomplish? doors/drawers........drawers behind doors.......what style? modern, federal, queen ann........ideas man! not ready made schlock
    walnut is the wood......is this to only store cigars? or loose tobacco too? do you want to be able to display pipes and smoking accessories along side the humidor? or will you offer these in a seperate part of the store?......we need input in order to help
    Sorry Tod, you are right, not nearly enough info

Attachment 1017
    This is the spot, you can see the glassed in humidor in the pic, the new unit will replace the old one, and be nearly twice as tall.

Attachment 1018
    Another view

Attachment 1019
    here is a VERY crude drawing (VERY CRUDE!!)

The bottom will be all wood, the top will be glass on all four sides, and wood on the top and the bottom.

There will be two door on the front top and the top bottom, the pieces will be seperate, for ease of moving them, and building them.

Style, heck I don't konw, that is what I'm askin you guys for

I like the moulding on the tops, and the bottom, I'd love to make some nice feet, but I don't have a bandsaw that can cut curves. Maybe some turned bun feet?

The humidor will be for storing and displaying cigars only. I'll make up a bunch of trays for the cigars in the case, I'll not use the case to display the boxes of cigars, this it hard to do, as I have so many types of cigars and I want to display them all.

The trays will be held on angled shelves inside the humidor.

I'm thinking of basically making a box on top, that will have a solid top, and then front will be a face frame, and the sides and back will basically be a RP door that will not open.

The bottom will be your basic cabinet, two doors that open, and some shelves in there for boxes of cigars. The humidification device will be in the base, with a vent to the top piece.

Got to run........
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash View Post
    tod, the only thing we have to remember is that it will go into Stu's place of business where it can get abused to a degree by the public, so therefore it would need to be somewhat utilitarian in design, I agree with you if it was in in his own home he should use your approach to design.

Personally Stu, I like this one. But maybe it is too nice to be in a public place and get scratched, etc.
    That is one that I also like, but, alas, I don't have the tools to make them fancy feet..... yet....

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    Hey Stu....I was wondering about humidity control. with all that glass and no Spanish Cedar, are you going to have trouble with regulation? Not that I know anything...that's just what first popped into my tiny little brain.
    Yep, always a concern.

I have a set up in the unit now that does a good job, it should do well in the larger unit too.

The base unit will be lined with Luan, which is what all the comercial guys use here, it is a close relative to the Spanish Cedar, the top unit will have the Luan on the bottom and the top, as well as the inside corners. The shelves, and the trays will also be made from this Luan, should be good to go.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward