Thread: Goblets again

Goblets again

I got a commision to make a pair of goblets with celtic knots. They wanted them to match but to have the woods reversed in the goblet and knots. Man, making two things the same is really hard to do in my opinion. I turned one (the walnut one) and then tried to turn the second as close as I could. The diameters and other measurements were really close but the shapes just weren't the same. Standing alone they both turned out pretty good but side by side the differences are glaring in my eyes. I sent them this picture but haven't heard back yet. I don't think I'm ready to quit my day job.

They're Walnut with Ash knot and Ash with Walunt knot and just over 6" tall by 2" diameter.

Great goblets, Curt. I think the average Joe is gonna have a hard time seeing the differences between the two. Even though the differences jump out at you, most folks would have to look real hard to see them.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Tis a most remarkable rendition of goblets and your turning abilities. Really nice looking and good design features.

Thanks for the post.

I can't imagine that anyone would have anything negative to say about those. You do great work.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Great goblets, Curt. I think the average Joe is gonna have a hard time seeing the differences between the two. Even though the differences jump out at you, most folks would have to look real hard to see them.
    I have to agree, Curt. I sure can't see any difference in the two, other than the woods. They're really pretty!

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

They are beautiful, Curt. Anyone who wants goblets to be absolutely identical should find some nice plastic ones!

You are an absolute artist, Curt. My compliments and I'm still trying to get past the rank beginner stage so, of course, I'm extremely jealous.

Thanks for the look at them.

.....Gord