Advice YOU remember

As I grow older certain things come to mind. I think of things that I remember to this day, things that stay with me. They will stay with me until my mind caves in or my memory just fades away. Since this is a woodworking forum let me stay in that thought.

What do you remember, words, revelations, events, comments that have had an impact on you and your approach to woodworking that you remember and feel have had an impact on your woodworking, "IN RED" for clarity.:D
Here is one of mine................
ME..."Mr. Dearman" (my mentor and the man cutting all the pieces for a crew)
HIM..."Yes, what is it?"
Me..."This board doesn't fit!"
Him..." Why"
Me... "because I made a mistake in my measurement."
Mr. Dearman..."I don't have time to cut these boards the first time, I sure don't have the time to cut them the second!"
........With that he took the board and cut it to the new measurment. Politely as possible, he handed it back to me.
I went away realizing his time was valuable, my time became more important, correct results can occure the first time, he took this seriously, a recut is a step back and there is too much in front to break stride to redo, more was expected and thus from that day forward (1983) I have not been able to shake that saying from my head :eek: . I believe it has helped me become better at what I do. Do you have something you remember?
Remember for simplicity... " Do the punch line in red".:D
Shaz:)

When your wife is telling you all about her problems SHE DOES NOT WANT YOU TO SOLVE THEM! She just wants you to listen. Never offer a solution unless specifically asked.:D

From Mr. Schultz, my shop teacher in Jr. High. [for the not so old guys, that's what they used to call middle school]:

Use your eyes to measure. They are an accurate tool.

And from Don Hultgren, who taught me a jillion things about being a handy man [he was my boss on a summer job - he was the maintenance man, I was his helper]:

Don: Ken, why are you so nervous all the time?
me: I worry things won't turn out the way I want.
Don: They won't turn out the way you want anyway, so don't worry about it.

Not woodworking but one of the ones that has served me well. This one was from Mr Rees - my Religious Education teacher. He didn't teach me much but I have to give him credit for the most important phrase I can think of "Who says?"

I learned woodworking mostly on my own, but I did get someone to show me how to do dovetails. We were laying them out when he put up his arms outstretched and said "always do that that way you always lay them out right."

Its funny because to this day, I lay my dovetails out, stretch out my arms as he does and say "yep, they are laid out right."

Its stupid I know, but I still do it.

Another one came from my Great-Grandfather and one I will always remember, but in a weird sort of way.

He always said "I would never trade my right eye for the best level in the world." The thing of it is, he was not a very good carpenter, or woodworker and with this statement it shows. Whenever I am doing something and a eye ball it and say "yeah that looks about right." I think of what my Grandfather said, what his occupation was, (farmer) then go and get a level or transit. The thing is of course, their is such a thing as an optical illusion and therefore always trust a level over your eye anytime.