El Grande Fountain Pen and Pencil Sets

Here are a couple of pens I turned. These are a first for me being El Grande and one being a fountain pen. I have never did one before so it was a experience. The lady wanted two sets and said she would give me $100 a set. Why is it you have reservations that is to much money cause the pens aren't that good. The LOML told me I am to critical. So you tell me. One set is Bocote and the other is Paduk. Both finish with BLO/CA.

Attachments

• Bocote Pen & Pencil 2.jpg
    Bocote Pen & Pencil 2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Bocote Pen & Pencil 3.jpg
    Bocote Pen & Pencil 3.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Paduk Pen & Pencil 2.jpg
    Paduk Pen & Pencil 2.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Paduk Pen & Pencil 3.jpg
    Paduk Pen & Pencil 3.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 17
From what I can see, they look great! I haven't done any large pens...yet!

As for the price, if the client sees the value in the pens and is offering an amount, then that's what they are worth and is a tribute to the job you did on them.:thumb: I think that is a problem we all have as craftsmen. We rarely feel a project is "good enough"! Don't believe me? Look back through the threads and see how many times we all point out our flaws!:huh:

I like both sets, Bernie. I took the liberty of lightening up a couple of the pics, so you can show off the detail in the grain better.

Bernie Bocote Pen & Pencil 2 T.jpg Bernie Paduk Pen & Pencil 2 T.jpg

I don't think $100 per set is too outrageous. There are a lot of single pens that sell for that much. ;)

Bernie, I think they look VERY nice, and $100 for a set............bargain! :D

Besides that, you KNOW your lovely wife is right, she is very smart, after all, she had the foresight and sense to catch you, so that really is a smart gal, listen to her!! :thumb:

I love those sets, I have only done one, I gave it to my Dad, he loved it!

I have a few more, I should dust off my lathe and give them a go! :wave:

Nice touch up on the pics Vaughn, and I have to ask, looking at your new avatar, have you been spraying Lacquer again dude? :rofl:

Great pens Bernie! :clap:

Bernie, the pens look fine. Very nice sets. I would have liked to see a shot of the FP open. Can't say much complimentary about the photography :rolleyes: , but this isn't a photo forum. We just like to pick nits here.
I don't understand your sentence, "The lady wanted two sets and said she would give me $100 a set. Why is it you have reservations that is to much money cause the pens aren't that good."
If you are asking about the price, I believe $100.00 for a set is a bargain. Very reasonable. When I give low discount prices to friends and family I ask them not to tell others what they paid.

Those are beautiful pens Bernie! I have the same difficulty as you when it comes to charging money for my work. I somehow have the notion that because I know of every flaw and defect in what I've made everyone else will see it too. But the reality is that others see it and wonder how you did it and think $100 is a real bargain. After all, a set of MontBlanc pens would set you back several thousand bucks.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and comments. Curt is absolutely right. It just seems that since I know the couple of goof ups which will not affect the pen in any way it is just difficult to justify the money in my mind. A friend of mine told me to get over it. She wouldn't buy the pens from you if she could do it and he is right.

Frank you are right about the photos. A photographer I am not and don't claim to be. My little $99 point and shoot camera is not at all a pro picture taking unit. I need to take some classes after I get a new camera. I do just fine outside on a good sunny day but inside get the light right, etc is a chore. I am looking at a couple of camera's where you can change things like ISO, etc. but all those buttons and knobs scare this old farm boy. :rofl: Thanks again everyone.

Frank I took a couple of pictures of the pen open this morning. It was around 11 pm when I took those last night. Pictures turned out a little better also.

Attachments

• Bocote Pen & Pencil 4.jpg
    Bocote Pen & Pencil 4.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Paduk Pen & Pencil 4.jpg
    Paduk Pen & Pencil 4.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 13