Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropping the land line

Dropping the land line

The LOML and I are considering dropping the land line and going with just cell phones for the family. I've got my work phone, which I use in the car of course (almost never leaves the car in fact), but she and our middle son Adam are both 'busy' enough that cell phones are becoming a necessity.

I'm a little leery of doing this only because cell coverage at the house is spotty. I might sign up for VOIP as well, either vonage or a similar system. Power here is pretty good, so I'm not too concerned about storms etc... and a UPS would take care of that issue on the house front.

I'm sure some of you techno-woodworkers have done this, any tips/thoughts/advice? TIA
    -Ned

I know a guy that installed one of these........

at his house, says it works REAL well.

Wireless Extenders Dual Band signal extender by "Wireless Extenders". This model covers both frequency ranges of cell phones, the 800 and 1900 mhz bands.
    ASIN: B000J2XZ1K on Amazon

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Speaking as someone involved with this sort of thing, remember that cellular communications are a 'convenience' category service. I have sketchy coverage at my home as well but primarily use my cell phone. I have a bottom of the barrel land line with no bells and whistles. This along with UPS and cellular backup serve my alarm system.

The reason I'm boring you with this is there is a second benefit to my land line. If I have an accident and can just barely work the phone, dialing 911 from my land line pinpoints my location. E911 is no where near deployed so calling from your cell phone is not like they make it out on TV; they don't know where you are. This may or may not be a reason to keep a basic dial out-only type land line around.

P.s. At work we keep some POTS lines here and there as 'power-fail' lines. You old fashioned home phone is powered by DC from the phone company. Lights out? Phone still works.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-15-2007 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Add P.s.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Looks like a great idea. I (quickly) read the reviews. Reports were somewhat spotty and confusing. We, also, are considering dropping the land line for 100% cell. I'll have to re-read the reviews carefully and look at competing products also. That gadget is kinda expensive. If it works, recovery on the cost would take a year for us. I wish the big box metal stores would install repeaters. I'm sure it would be good for business if they did.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I'm with Glenn. We use the cell phoines for pretty much everything, but still have a very basic landline as backup. In addition to 911 identification, we like to have a second system to fall back on in the event of an earthquake. After the Northridge quake in 1994, I had no power, but my phone didn't miss a beat.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Glenn, makes a VERY valid point! If/when you ever have any sort of emergency...they have your location pin pointed, right away. Think about it... it's really not worth the "economy" of going without a land line. As well... although perhaps a slim chance...you won't be trying that emerg. call, with a dead battery.

The newer 911 services, called E911 for "enhanced" can pinpoint the location of a cell phone call.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    The newer 911 services, called E911 for "enhanced" can pinpoint the location of a cell phone call.
    yeah if you are in an upgraded cell and if you aren't in one of those spotty locations when you call.

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Hey Ned,
    I'm with the "keep the land line" gang. In addition to all they have said, if you are in an emergency like a big fire, chemical spill, earthquake, etc. that affects a lot of people, the cell bandwidth fills up in no time at all. The landlines can handle the increased traffic much better.

I was working in Washington DC when the terrorist hijacked plane hit the Pentagon. My cell was pretty much useless all day.
    Don't believe everything you think!

Ned

one of my favorite expressions is, let's not be penny wise and pound foolish

I'd vote to keep a pared down land line too.

When we returned to no power in Florida after the big hurricanes, the land line phones still worked -- go figure!

Look at Skype for long distance

Jay