Source for Flat Belts ??

Doug Shepard

In Memorium
My drill press is an old cast iron behemoth retired out of an auto plant about 60 years ago. So I'm guessing this thing is turn of the century (not the last one). It's a family hand me down and the place where my dad used to be able to get the flat belt material is no longer in business. The belts appear to be some sort of woven cloth but I also recall some of the first belts on the machine being made of leather. Broke another belt yesterday and thankfully still had 2 left. That leaves one spare (not sure right now if it's sized for the drive pulley or the spindle). So does anyone know of a good place onoine to buy flat belt material for these dinosaurs? The drive belt is 2". The belt on the spindle currently is also 2" just because that was apparently all that was available last time my dad stocked up, but that one actually wants a wider (3 or 4") belt. I've been able to find suppliers of the alligator clip fasteners that connect the ends together but haven't really spotted any place for the belt material.

Sorry for the bad pic, but this is the only one I have handy with the belts visible.
DrillPress3 (Small).jpg

TIA

Just do an internet search for leather suppliers. Even Tandy/Leather Factory might be able to help. Regular pants belts would probably work for the 2". You might be able to use two-2" for the 4" pulley. I have an old catalog, somewhere, for a large leather supplier. Later today, I'll try to find it and post the info. Whatever you do, when/if you get some belts, soak, and I do mean "soak" in pure Neatsfoot oil before use. Retreat about annually and they should last for many years.

Funny you should mention that. Give me a week and I will tell you.

I am looking to have one made for the Great Pumpkin next week. You can always get them from McMaster Carr, Any material you want including leather, but man are they high!! A leather belt for mine is well over $100 from them. But on the up side what I read is that they should last for 40+ years with some attention. So it's not as costly as it first seems. But they also stretch at first and that means a lot of attention and perhaps it will have to be shortened, depending on your machines and it's adjustments.

One name that was mentioned was Belt Corp. of America. I can't find anything on their web site price wise. So I guess you would have to call them. I am not so sure they are not a manufacturer and not interested in a one belt order.
http://www.beltcorp.com/

This is the one most people seem to use and this is who I plan to call on next week and see what they have to offer. Someone said that in their case they were a 1/2 of McMasters prices.

S R Sikes Co.
3715 Oregon Ave. South
Minneapolis, MN
(952) 931-9905

BTW nice DP. I have seen a few of those around Roysford isn't it? Or something like that? Camel backs is a name I keep hearing.

Jeff

Jeff
I'm actually not sure if it's Roysford or not. I suppose it's time for a more exhaustive search for some kind of identifying marks. I did a brief search years ago and I dont recall finding anything. There's not much if any remaining paint and I dont know if it just had some sort of decal over the paint or whether there's a name somewhere in the castings that I just haven't seen yet. It does have a couple things going for it though. Dont recall the exact length but it's got a real long quill travel and the table elevating setup is cool. There's a big handwheel and screw underneath the table that looks like something off a ships watertight door. The whole thing travels on a big (about 8-10" wide) dovetailed way with almost zilch for side to side slop. So you can put different length bits in and have them still end up in the same hole position. That's come in handy more than once. I'm fairly certain the motor and electronics aren't original but those dont have any DP specific brand names on them anyway. No tilt capability on the table though, so I threw this table together a few years ago to allow for compound angle (2 tilt tables - one mounted on the other) drilling as well as putting it on a mobile base so you can actually move the thing.
Here's a front pic including the detritus that tends to get shoved underneath the table and hung on the DP. You can see the big DT sticking up above the table fence if you look hard.
DrillPress1.jpg

I did double check with a tape after posting. I was wrong on the belt widths. The drive belt is 1-1/4" and the spindle belt about 2-1/8" (though right now it also has 1-1/4 on it). Dont know about the leather ones lasting 40 years. It's been a long time since I can recall seeing one of the leather ones on it. The cloth ones like what's currently on it tend to deteriorate on either side of the alligator clips that connect up the ends like the top pic on this site.

http://www.flexco.com/industry/view_exp.cfm?p_pc_id=1

If you get any more ideas next week let me know.
Thanks

Last edited:
Doug,
I called the guys at Baltimore Belting when I needed one for my DP. They were very helpful and recommended a transmission belt (I think that's what he called it). It's a fiber/composite belt that is a MUCH cheaper replacement for a leather belt. It has worked well and hasn't stretched at all.

http://www.baltimorebelting.com/

I think it was $18 including shipping.

Very cool DP you've got there!

Wes

Here is a place few people think to go, but typically have the belts in stock and have the lacing machine to make any length belt you want...you local tractor equipment dealer. That is where I get mine and as I said, they always have lengths of it in stock for those older and newer machines that use flat belts on the equipment.

OK, talked to a couple of belt companies and I have to say use S R Sikes Co. They were cheapest and easiest to work with. Then make ONLY leather, no canvas or synthetic belts.

I just ordered a 83" belt 4" wide with lacings for $86. Much cheaper than the synthetic belt prices I was quoted. It was around $235 for a synthetic! :eek: