Flattened rounded angled tubes ... eh?

Jason Beam

Dear sheet metal gurus...

I'm sure there's a formula for taking the diameter of a pipe coupled with the angle cut that will give you the arc needed for cutting sheet metal out so it'll be right when rolled into a tube ...

I'm pretty sure it's a curve, of some kind ... but I can't for the life of me work out how to get the right shape ... cutting it straight doesn't work, i end up with an Ogee kinda shape when it's curled. Got plenty of posterboard for figuring this out, thankfully! :p

Any ideas?

Maybe there's a SketchUp trick that Dave Richards can come up with for unrolling a tube after you've sliced through it at an angle. If you could use SU to unroll that tube into a flat sheet, you could just print it out for a full size template.

Jason, do you mean like this?

2b10be17.jpg

Hey Man,
Greg and Dave!!!! You guys crack me up! Love that innerplay...:rofl:
Okay, Dave...try this in a 2" dowel, a skeleton key hole centered in the circle which happens to be cut on a 45 degree angle and entering to a depth of 3 1/2" from point of contact, then making a right turn and exiting the dowel. :rofl: Take your socks of and "SEND THEM TO THE CLEANERS!":rofl: :rofl: Sorry to hi jack this thread. NNR (No need Reply):D
Shaz