Uh Oh...watch out Stu.........

Mark Rios

I just saw on the news that there was a wine tasting competition, the 28th Annual International Eastern Wine Competition. The favorite that won was a $1.99 Chardonnay, it has the nickname of "Two-Buck Chuck". It was given a score of 98 points (I know what the point system is thanks to Stu :D ). It's sold by an upscale discount food store chain named Trader Joes (kind of a discount froofie store).

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2007/06/30/business/news/21_08_086_29_07.txt

Thought it was interesting.............

Last edited:
Two-buck Chuck has been around for a few years. It's a blended wine made by a conglomerate that bought the name of the Charles Shaw winery. I've tried it and it's not bad. But, you won't mistake it for a Cakebread or Stags Leap...

Two-buck Chuck has been around for a few years. It's a blended wine made by a conglomerate that bought the name of the Charles Shaw winery. I've tried it and it's not bad. But, you won't mistake it for a Cakebread or Stags Leap...

Do you folks have trader Joes' out there in TN Chris? Or is it sold by someone else?

On the news report they mentioned that this wine was/is made from leftover grapes. I assume that they're leftover from what the "Big Name" wineries pick through. However, this would make me think that the consistancy would have a tendancy to change. I"m no wine drinker (in fact, I don't drink at all), I just wonder if the winning year was perhaps a fluke. During a Google search, there were more than a few hits of websites of snobby snobbersons talking down the wine. It seems that this award has caused quite a stir among the froofie froofiesons in the wine world...............:D :D :D

No Trader Joes in TN so, two buck Chuck isn't available for us hillbillies. My company is based out of Thousan Oaks, CA (about 2 hours drive north of LA which means about 20 miles...) and I've tried it and it is a good wine. But, then again I'm not a wine snob, if it tastes good, drink it... I think they are like other conglomerate wineries and they simply buy the grapes from other vintners.