Cofee table and question...

Well...

I don't know if this the right division of our forum to post this because I still have doubts about what is "flatwork" my english vocabulary is improving a lot since I'm in this forum:thumb: and its great!.

I'm almost finished with this coffe table, I is made of Iroko wood and I’m on the process of finishing it.

As you can see I used wedged tenons “Maloof style” of a ligther color wood to give some visual interest to a bit visually uninteristing side in my opinion.

What is driving me nuts is the central strip of lighter coloured wood, because I do not know what to do with it. Dye it or leave it like that and wait for the natural darkening of the wood with time. It looks far better on the pictures than in reality. If it was like it appears I wouldn't mind leaving it like that.

It disturbs me quite a bit but I might be wrong in my appreciation.

I’d appreciate any suggestions comments that any of you will make.

Thanks in advance and I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 73
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 56
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 37
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 62
  • t6.jpg
    t6.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 73
  • t7.jpg
    t7.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 73
Hi Tony,

The table looks quite nice. I think the lighter center strip looks fine and, with the lighter wedged tenons, seems to tie together. I would probably leave it and allow it to darken naturally.

Toni, that is a great looking table. :thumb: I really like the design also. :thumb:

The wood is beautiful as it is. I'm a firm believer of letting the wood show through naturally. I wouldn't change a thing, other than make sure my signature was on it somewhere. :)

Karl

i think its fine

the lighter wood in the center doesnt offend me at all and i agree it looks like it belongs there with your lighter tenons showing.. let her age and come together naturally:thumb: :thumb:

Hi Tony,
What a great table. I love the design! How did you shape the curve?

What kind of wood is it? Looks like walnut in the pictures.

If you want to darken the lighter wood, there are ways to do that. If you have not put a finish on it yet, just apply a dark stain and go from there. If you have a finish on already, try a coat of shellac to seal, a glaze, then another coat of shellac, then another coat of whatever finish you used over the whole table.

If you have some scraps, try the stain/glaze on them first until you get exactly the result you want.

By the way, "flatwork" is just anything that is not turned on a lathe.

very pretty table toni!....
now i understand your question about sanding:eek: .
on the color differences.....i prefer to leave the wood as it comes....but most of my customers want it dyed or stained to a uniform color...big help eh?
tod

Hi Jesse.

I'm glad you like it.

Thanks for the meaning about "flatwork" at the beginning I thought it meant made out of flat boards (plywood or MD for instance).

The wood is Iroko, and on the pics I've just put two coats of tung oil 50% thinned with white spirit. There are more coats to go but I have to let it dry.

I have some pics of how I shaped the curve, let me downsize them and I'll post them tomorrow.

Basically what I did is build up the thickness needed one on end of the top by gluing three more shorter strips of wood and hollow them by hand with a semicircular gouge.

Hi Tod.

I'm glad you jumped in, most problably I didn't explain myself when I asked about sanding; well... now you see what I was going through;).

About the color.... well I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who is dubious about the color,:D however customers are not woodworkers (usually), and we tend to think different than them. Don't we?:huh:

Nice table. I like the center lighter, think it adds to the design and looks intentional. You could wait six months and see what age does to it before making any rash decisions. You are the one who has to live with it, and you could dye it at any point. You could even tint a topcoat and blend it, wouldn't require much sanding at all.

First of all, beautiful design. Second, if the lighter wood is even lighter than it appears in the picture, I would leave it. Even in the picture the difference is definite enough to look designed in. I find it very attractive as it is and would not have thought it should be different had you not asked. It should age well.

Once again Toni, really beautiful lines on the table.

H Toni; I quite like the light strip of wood up the centre of that table. One of a kind design deserves one of a kind colouring. God never made a perfect tree, don't spoil it by attempting to make it a colour it was never intended to be. It has great character the way it is!:thumb:

Toni, I hope you don't take this wrong...The first glance at the picture, and I thought to myself, that HAS to be Italian design!!! It's so graceful, so stunning, and truly unique. As if, say, you had designed it to be viewed alongside a Lamborghini or Ferrari. Such flowing curves and sinuous shapes.

I don't know enough about that wood to say for sure, but I think over time it'd probably age to match. Trying to get the center piece to conform in color at this point is probably near impossible. If it were me, I'd just leave it and say it's a design feature. I fear you'd end up doing more harm than good by trying to go back and redo that one board.

The shape and the design lend well to the colors of the one middle piece. Leave be (in my really humble opinion) and let time take care of things.

Tony, that is certainly a very artistic/creative piece. The light center looks fine to me. It appears to be a deliberate usage of the natural color of the wood and blends with the single leg of the same shade. My vote is to leave as is.

Add another voice to the chorus...:p

Beautiful design and execution, Toni. :clap: I also like the lighter-colored center wood as it is now.

That is a Real Beauty, Toni, and I wouldn't change a thing on the finish. Great job on the Maloof style tenon too.:thumb: Can't wait to see the pictures of the Build up.

I would also like to see some pictures of the landscapes and homes around your area there, (in the off topic section) sometime if you get the chance. I'll bet it is a beautiful area. It's always neat to see the building styles and landscapes in different areas.

Not much more I can add to what the others have said, that is one nice looking table, you should be proud of your work :clap:

I like the way it looks now, I know that it does not look "Exactly" like it does in the pics, but I would still want to leave the wood as natrual looking as possible.
This "Iroko wood" willthe color of the wood darken over time?

By the way, I also like your garden, it looks easy to maintain! :D

Cheers!