RAS and CMS bench suggestions

larry merlau

ok folks yu dun well by me so far so i am askun fer sum ideas again on the bench top construction for the RAS & CMS i saw one in a large shop that had a small gap next tot he fence for the sawdust to fall threw dont know how he collected it but it did make the boards go the fence with having to sweep away the dust that build there after sawing... i now have a recessed area for the cms that is on the same plane as the RAS bench so i can use the fenc for both tools.. so any ideas on what i should use for the bench top or the construction of it????thanks for the help:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D

hey Mr C i cant find straw board up here looked but they dont know what i am talkun about:dunno: what i was thinkun was using some mdf and then tempered hard board on top but was lookun for some suggestions on others thoughts as well as placment and the fence setup??/ am about to get to that point we got rain and the outside stuff is on hold fer now..

Make the top skin replacable for the RAS.

I used 2 layers of 3/4 high density underlayment (chipboard) because I had it & it was nice & flat. Then overlayed it with 1/2" plywood. My top is still nice & flat after about 8 years.

If I think of anything else I'll post it.

Last edited:
I used 3/4" MDF for my miter saw table. I used 1" MDF for my radial arm saw table & used a piece of 1/4" plywood on top of that. I do not have a dust slot in front of the fence.

Here's the link to a page of my workshop tour showing the construction of my DCMS bench. The drop chute design is shown at the bottom of the page.

http://bbarnold.com/workshop07.html

thanks bill that was what i was lookin for, i knew i had seen it but couldnt find it. and also thanks to the others for there comments. i need to get it laid ot so can run my conduit.. gettin close to elctrical now:)