Book Recommendation

Ned Bulken

I've taken to listening to audiobooks, and have a fair collection of them for my Palm Pilot. Two of my latest favorites are 'Double Play' written by Robert B Parker of the 'Spenser for hire' fame. "Double Play" is about when Jackie Robinson was brought into the big leagues. I'm a baseball fan, and bought it for that angle, but it is an excellent read on it's own even without the baseball angle.

and the other recent favorite is 'The Last Templar' by Raymond Khoury. Another book which I bought because of an interest (Templar-Masonic connection) which turned out to be an excellent read of its own accord.

I've got 15 books currently, though I'll be getting more. I've found that they make the day pass quickly while I'm working, and I get more out of them than just talk radio or sports talk (though I listen to that as well to make the books last longer)

Ned - I agree - Audiobooks are great for road warriors or those who spend their day wearing ear defenders. Have you tried Audible.com as a source. They have a great range and pretty good value on many. No affiliation - blah blah blah.

Ian,
Audible is indeed where I download my books from. I subscribe to their 'book a month' club, and get discounted books when and if I purchase any additional books. I'm a bit of a book snob... Unabridged is the only way I'll buy an audiobook.

My family loves the chronicles of narnia -- but it wouldn't really pass your "unabridged" test. Nothing is cut, but it is arranged a bit different, since they don't read the books, they perform them. (the price may seem high, but there are 19 CD's in that set. It covers all seven books, and is half what I paid when I bought, and thought it a bargain.)

Pop in one of these on a car trip, and the kids quiet down and the miles just pass in peace. (well, the kilometers pass up here)

I've also heard very good reports on the Harry Potter audio books, but I've never listened to them myself.

I agree that unabridged is the only way to go. Tastes differ wildly so I am always a bit loathe to give recommendations but from the Audible library here are some of my favourites.

The Advetures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Twain was the man. I read (listen) to these about 6 or 7 times a year. Huck is a better book, deeper and more funny at the same time. I have said to women friends with boys several times than if you want to understand a boys mind you need to read Huck Finn.

A Room with a View by EM Forster. I got this one as a long shot but it is a brilliant read. I think that what makes it so good is that the narrator appears to love the book and reads it like she understands it. Not always the case.

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. Just brilliant! Long but tightly told and briliantly paced. Scott Brick(??) does the narattion and is excellent.

Absolutely anything (everything!!) by Ernest Hemingway. The Old Man And the Sea is clearly a classic and as a bonus is narrated by Donald Sutherland with real style. Less well known (at least by me) Islands In The Stream is a quartet of stories as only Hemingway told them. Reading this work leaves me with the feeling that is the essence of Hemingway. Every word that is needed is in the book and not a single word that is in there is spare.

Last edited:
My family loves the chronicles of narnia -- but it wouldn't really pass your "unabridged" test. Nothing is cut, but it is arranged a bit different, since they don't read the books, they perform them. (the price may seem high, but there are 19 CD's in that set. It covers all seven books, and is half what I paid when I bought, and thought it a bargain.)

Pop in one of these on a car trip, and the kids quiet down and the miles just pass in peace. (well, the kilometers pass up here)

I've also heard very good reports on the Harry Potter audio books, but I've never listened to them myself.

Oh I don't know about failing the test, I like performance pieces as well. Dramatization works for me. The true acid test is that the author's words are all there. Ie I'm currently in the midst of "Time enough for Love" by Heinlein aka his Future History, and his longest work. It is so long that it is split into three audio book sections. of over 8 hours each.