Hollowing rig/ which one, why?

Doug Jones

I am looking at purchasing a hollowing rig for my PM 3520B, so I am attempting to gather all the knowledge possible to make a better informed decision (only want to buy it once). Looking for the whole thing, laser sight and all.

What is the hollowing rig you have and would you purchase it again if you had to go back and do it again?

What was your deciding factor on the one you have?

What would be your choice if you were looking at getting one?

Is there any deals on a hollowing rig that would sway your decision?

I'm sure this subject has been gone over before, but I couldn't locate it. If you know the link to it, please post it.
Thanks for all and any help.

Last edited:
It seems the best rigs come from smaller, independant, makers. Mine is from Don Pencil, who does offer specials on 'blems'. Those with less than perfect finishes in the chrome. Utility is not affected. Price savings are considerable. Check him out: http://www.donpencil.com/
The Monster tools have a great reputation also.

I have the Monster captive hollowing rig. (Formally, the Monster Hollow Form with Laser, shown down toward the bottom of this page.) I also have some of the Don Pencil "Stinger" boring bars, which can be pretty easily adapted to fit the Monster rig. I agree with Frank on the point about small toolmakers. I've got several other tools and accessories from both Monster Tools and Don Pencil, and I've been happy with all of them. (I'd give Monster the higher marks for fit and finish, though.) That said, I know turners who are very happy with more well-known rigs (the Jamieson rig comes to mind.) The technology for captive rigs is not rocket science, so there are a lot a similarities between the brands. To answer your other questions...

Yes, I'd purchase the Monster rig again in a heartbeat. Since I'd not seen any rigs in person, the recommendation of others was my deciding factor on getting the Monster rig. Also, the fact that it was a complete setup, needing no additional bits and pieces, made the decision easier for me. When I was looking for mine, I had decided I wanted a captive rig instead of an armbrace or freehand tools. I'm glad that I did, since it seems to be less likely to get myself into trouble with (hurt).

As far as sale prices and such, as Frank mentioned, Don Pencil has scratch and dent prices on some of his products (great deal on aluminum faceplates). You missed Monster's "free shipping in June" deal that Randy posted here last month.

Whichever tools you go with, be prepared to enter yet another level of abyss-ness. Hollow forms are a hoot to turn. ;)

I made my own, anyone surprised :D

It is NOT rocket science, and if you weld, or have a buddy that does, I think you could save yourself a LOT of money by just buying the business ends, the boring bars etc and make the rest, but that might just be me :wave:

Cheers!

I have the monster HF rig and would buy it again in a heart beat. I also have the Kelton 3/8" and 5/8" for freehand hollowing. Added bonus Randy sold me a adaptor so I can use the keltons with the Monster rig.