Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable roller-stand recommendations?

Adjustable roller-stand recommendations?

I have a pair of Record roller stands similar to the picture that have never liked. They wobble, there’s not a square weld on them so every time I adjust the height the roller also has to be readjusted.
    Pretty much junk IMHO.

So, what are ya’ll using that you are happy with?
    I like the looks of the multi-roller, expandable, scissor type stands but they’re too big for my small shop.
    "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a
    friend...if you have one."
    --George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill

"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second..if there is
    one."
    --Winston Churchill, in response

One of the magazines did a review on these about a year or two back. IIRC the Rigid stand got kudos from the testers.
    “We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Bruce, I use one like you pictured. And, the problems are as you state. Advantage, it folds up for storage nicely in a small shop and can be carried to other locations. Not much to reccomend it other than that.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I use the Rockler 43399 Heavy-Duty Fliptop Roller Stand. It is a very nice stand. Easily adjustable for uneven floors & has a roller + a ball bearing top.

I have these from Home Depot. Work very well, stable and have guides to keep boards from sliding sideways, that you can use or fold away.

Attachment 10751

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125
    Last edited by Greg Cook; 09-13-2009 at 03:46 AM.

Alan DuBoff is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    I use these from Sears, readily available, will change between ball rollers on top, to a single length roller, or a solid bar that doesn't roll. They're easy enough to adjust and I use them often with a long length of plywood as a temp workbench. Sears item #00922293000.

I have had this for some time now and really like it. Rollers are independent so it doesn't have to perfectly lined up with the table saw. Height adjustment, but another knob for leveling it with your saw top.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,240,41060
    Rise above the rest

I have one of those "multi-roller, expandable, scissor type stands" that you mentioned. Mine comes from General International and it's great. But, you say that you don't have room for it, so I would recommend this stand from Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,240,41060

I have used this Lee Valley stand that my brother-in-law has and I quite like it -not as good as my multi-roller stand, but much better than any of the other single roller stands that I have owned and/or used.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 07-17-2007 at 08:59 PM. Reason: fix typos
    Cheers, Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cook View Post
    I have these from Home Depot. Work very well, stable and have guides to keep boards from sliding sideways, that you can use or fold away.

Attachment 10751

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125
    I have the same one as Greg. Actually I have two of them. I have never had a problem with its stability. The flip up guides on the sides are a nice feature.

My only complaint is that I have trouble getting back to the exact spot for my TS or CMS or joiner.

I just saw a shop tip that suggested drilling holes and to put a pin in as a stop. This way you can have one hole for the TS height, one for the CMS, etc..... would make set up very quick. The pin wouldn't be holding the weight, the clamp would still be doing that.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

bruce,
    just make melimine coated tables that you can detach and store flat. they work so much better than any of the commercially available stands and they`re cheaper!
    tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]