Adjustable roller-stand recommendations?

Bruce Page

I have a pair of Record roller stands similar to the picture that have never liked. They wobble, there’s not a square weld on them so every time I adjust the height the roller also has to be readjusted.
Pretty much junk IMHO.

So, what are ya’ll using that you are happy with?
I like the looks of the multi-roller, expandable, scissor type stands but they’re too big for my small shop.

Attachments

• 50-300.jpg
    50-300.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 16
Bruce, I use one like you pictured. And, the problems are as you state. Advantage, it folds up for storage nicely in a small shop and can be carried to other locations. Not much to reccomend it other than that.

I use these from Sears, readily available, will change between ball rollers on top, to a single length roller, or a solid bar that doesn't roll. They're easy enough to adjust and I use them often with a long length of plywood as a temp workbench. Sears item #00922293000.

I have one of those "multi-roller, expandable, scissor type stands" that you mentioned. Mine comes from General International and it's great. But, you say that you don't have room for it, so I would recommend this stand from Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=50231&cat=1,240,41060

I have used this Lee Valley stand that my brother-in-law has and I quite like it -not as good as my multi-roller stand, but much better than any of the other single roller stands that I have owned and/or used.

Last edited:
I have these from Home Depot. Work very well, stable and have guides to keep boards from sliding sideways, that you can use or fold away.

View attachment 10751

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...000003+10401001&marketID=401&locStoreNum=8125

I have the same one as Greg. Actually I have two of them. I have never had a problem with its stability. The flip up guides on the sides are a nice feature.

My only complaint is that I have trouble getting back to the exact spot for my TS or CMS or joiner.

I just saw a shop tip that suggested drilling holes and to put a pin in as a stop. This way you can have one hole for the TS height, one for the CMS, etc..... would make set up very quick. The pin wouldn't be holding the weight, the clamp would still be doing that.

bruce,
just make melimine coated tables that you can detach and store flat. they work so much better than any of the commercially available stands and they`re cheaper!
tod

Adjustable roller-stand.

And, just to confuse you further!!!!!

highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3516

This is a 3-way stand. Single roller, ball rollers, solid bar. I have two and have used them to support 4x4 Doug Fir timbers being milled with a hand held router. No stability concerns.

Gary Curtis

bruce,
just make melimine coated tables that you can detach and store flat. they work so much better than any of the commercially available stands and they`re cheaper!
tod

Tod,

I use the stands for my Miter Saw and my Planer, mounted on RIGID MUVs, and sometimes my RAS (on a mobile stand). I have 4 and use quite a bit.

DeltaMiter1.png

Last edited:
Wow, there are a lot of choices! Tod, I have a fixed, folding outfeed on my Unisaw. I need the portable type for my drum sander, 15” planner and occasionally with my jointer. I roll these out into the shop for use; it would be impracticable to make tables for each machine.
I would like to get away from the single roller style. The Lee Valley, Triton and Ridgid tilting top all look good. There’s a couple of good reviews on the Ridgid (http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/workshop/1274496.html) but didn’t find anyone selling it. Even the website listed in the Ridgid review appears to be dead (www.ridgidwoodworking.com).
Thanks for the great responses!

Greg, that is a sweet miter station setup!

Believe it or not, I have these, they routinely go on sale for $15 and sometimes $10:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00922295000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

They have an eccentric cap on one foot that solves the wobble problem in most all situations. For those really bad spots in the floor I keep a pack of 6 - 7" shims handy. I have seen no need to upgrade to a $50 (or more) roller stand. If I need to move up from these, I'll go all the way to HTC HSS-18's http://www.htcproductsinc.com/prs.html or the like. Functionally the same but, built like a battleship.

Last edited:
My only complaint is that I have trouble getting back to the exact spot for my TS or CMS or joiner.

I use a fine tip permanent marker and mark the small tube where it exits the large tube with a line and "T.S." or "D.P", etc. This gets me pretty close to the ball park. For spots I use alot like bandsaw outfeed, I mark the floor too with a large felt pen.

Hey Glenn,
I just took the rollers off two of those, and will use them on my new rolling sheet goods rack. The end caps will keep the plywood from slipping off. I use my Ridgid stand most often and decided to put these to work.

Tod,
I have a big stack of black melimine coated boards about the size or a little longer than those you show in the picture. Thanks for the idea! :thumb:
I'll make me a bracket and put a couple of those on the stands I just decapitated. :rofl: :rofl:

Wow, there are a lot of choices! The Lee Valley, Triton and Ridgid tilting top all look good. There’s a couple of good reviews on the Ridgid (http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/workshop/1274496.html) but didn’t find anyone selling it. Even the website listed in the Ridgid review appears to be dead (www.ridgidwoodworking.com).
Thanks for the great responses!
!

Bruce, they sell them at Home Depot. I have looked them over carefully, and they are "Very Well Built", and from heavy enough material to be very stable. I really liked the way the tilting top worked, and they were easy to adjust. The price seemed very reasonable when comparing their price and quality to several other brands/models I have looked at and or used. I didn't need one at the time, but I will buy one (or maybe two):rolleyes: when the need arises, (or they put them on a good sale);) whichever comes first.:D

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I've been using the Ridgid Flip-top for a while. I got two when they went on sale at HD. They're very useful. One stays behind the TS and is set to the TS table top height. The other gets moved around from place to place and is easy to adjust to whatever tool I'm using.

The roller stands are handy, too. I have one of those that is pretty much dedicated to the jointer, but does move to help with the other Flip-Top. I like the way the Flip-top works, and it's easier to align to the height of whatever tool I'm using.

For what it's worth, I've been using the Ridgid Flip-top for a while. I got two when they went on sale at HD. They're very useful. One stays behind the TS and is set to the TS table top height. The other gets moved around from place to place and is easy to adjust to whatever tool I'm using.

The roller stands are handy, too. I have one of those that is pretty much dedicated to the jointer, but does move to help with the other Flip-Top. I like the way the Flip-top works, and it's easier to align to the height of whatever tool I'm using.

Thanks Sandy (my mother's name was Sandy :))

The flip top seems very popular.
I'm going to stop by HD and take a look on my way home tonight.